Chapter Three: Connect

"I feel a little ridiculous." I half-frowned at myself. "Are you sure this is ok?"

I stared at my reflection in Des's full-length mirror. She managed to take some of my clothes, and through some otherworldly hocus-pocus, turn them fashionable. Des took out a dress I didn't even realize was snuck into my closet—the culprit standing right beside me—and all but forced me to try it on. It was red, sleeveless, and form-fitting. She called it a Lerve Heger look-a-like--whatever that was supposed to mean. By the looks of it though, Des had made it during one of her design classes.

Sneaky this one is.

Then, she took out a pair of my black-heeled lace-up boots and paired it with my black leather half-jacket. Des even went so far as to fix up my hair and do my make-up. By the end of her little makeover, I looked like an entirely different person. And if I didn't need my glasses to see, no one would ever know it was me.

"Non, non," she beamed, proud of her accomplishment. "You look fabulous!"

"If you say so..." My mouth twisted in uncertainty.

"Oui. Now I will finish up and we'll meet up with Jane and everyone else."

I nodded, staring at myself one last time. I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves. I hardly ever dressed like this. This was Des's department. I was happy to just be in a witty tee and a pair of skinnies.

Precious few minutes passed before Des announced she was ready. When I looked at her, I whistled teasingly. "Ooh, boys, watch out! Des is serious tonight."

Des had on a pair of white skinny jeans with red high heels and a black, loose-fitted top. Her hair was a sexy jungle of curls, and she wore that white and silver smoky eye like she was going down a runway.

She laughed lightheartedly. "Merci, ma cherie. Now, off we go!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ok, only one rule before we go in." I told her right before we reached the entrance. I really hope they let us in... I thought, thinking of the worst-case scenario. Or would that be the best-case scenario?

"And that is?" Des asked chipperly.

"Not all of us can buy drinks. So, don't leave me alone because you decided to get in a wee bit of a drunken stupor, ok?"

At that, Des seriously choked. "I would never leave you in such a way. You have nothing to fear."

My partner in crime was twenty-one while I was a year younger. Sometimes she partied a little too much, and I had to go and get her. It didn't happen often, but when it did, it was a big pain.

"You promise?"

She nodded. "I promise." She agreed right before we were let inside Connect. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Des!" the group from her design class screamed above the music.

"You look fantastic!" Jane told her, checking out her ensemble.

"And is that... Penn?" one of the guys asked—I think his name was Taylor. I vaguely remember meeting a Taylor.

"The one and only." I replied.

"Whoa, Benson, you look hot!" Taylor grinned. "Where have you been hiding all that?"