The Art of Unrequited

by hiddenbottle

Upon reading the blurb for the first time, I thought it was interesting. I expected the events mentioned in it to be a little summary of what had happened to the protagonist prior to the events of the book (Maddie falling in love with Liam and being rejected).

I was wrong. It turns out that the blurb actually spoils an event that would take place later on in the book, which I didn’t like. From the very beginning, I knew that Liam would reject our protagonist, so there was no suspense and excitement, no surprise when it happened.

 From the very beginning, I knew that Liam would reject our protagonist, so there was no suspense and excitement, no surprise when it happened

If we put the blurb aside, the story was interesting to follow. The writing style is easy to read and didn’t tire me out. The story is fun and made me smile quite a few times. There were some punctuation and grammatical errors I couldn’t help but notice while reading. I suggest the author go through the story once more to correct them.

As for the characters, they are lovable and interesting. Their relationships are well-described and fun to follow. I really liked that I could feel the characters’ emotions and that their actions seemed natural.

The only suggestion I have for the author regarding the pacing would be to slow it down a bit. The confections of love came, in my opinion, a bit too fast. The rest, I think, should be left as it is.

 The rest, I think, should be left as it is