Denial

New Orleans; July 27th, 21:57 CDT

The full-moon brightens the city as a single man strolls down the age-old brick road with nothing but his cane and his pocket watch, that he pulls from his jacket to check the time but, to also stare at the picture of the woman on the inside of the watch. His name is Kent Nelson, formerly known as Dr. Fate.

He strolls along the road until he comes across a psychic's shop named Madam Xanadu; he rolls his eyes with a smile and walks through the door. Once inside, the room was dark and ominous looking with candles lit over human skulls and a doorway with beads over the entrance shadowing the inside.

He walks to the nearest seat at the nearest table draped in all crimson red table-clothes and upholstery; the table-cloth hung down reaching the ground. A young woman, looking to be in her late-twenties steps through the beaded entrance. She has glitter under his eyes and jewels bedazzled to her forehead.

Xanadu: Bonjour monsieur, how can Madam Xanadu be of service? Ah, there is someone with whom you wish to speak with? Your wife?

Kent: (Tightens his grip on his pocket watch) Yes, my Inza.

Xanadu: (Sits at the table) Than the Madam will help you make contact. If fate be kind...

Kent: (Rolls his eyes and sighs depressingly) And yet he so rarely is.

The sit in silence for a moment before she clears her throat and opens her palm towards him.

Kent: Oh. Of course.

He pulls out a wad of cash from his jacket-pocket and hands it over to her. She tucks it in-between her breasts and smiles once again, closes her eyes, and focuses intensely. The lights dim, the table lifts up, and the chandelier above rocks back and forth as Xanadu's hair begins floating around her, however; Kent wasn't the least bit impressed.

Xanadu: Oh, my darling! How I've missed you! I'm so lonely here and cold.

Kent: Haha! Th-that's the best you could do?

Everything stops.

Xanadu: Imbecile! The spell has been broken! Your wife is forever lost!

Kent: (Scoffs) That was supposed to be my wife? (Heh) Heck, my little spitfire would have kicked my can for throwing away good money on you.

Xanadu: (Stands up) No refunds for non-believers!

Kent: I think we both know who the non-believer here is, Madam. Wind machine, (grabs the table cloth underneath and reveals tire jacks) tire-jacks under the table. What a shame too, you have the perfect aura for the work. But nothing would have pleased me more than to be reunited with my wife.

He barely turns around before a burly, buff, Italian man with long slicked black hair grabs Kent by his collar. His name is Abracadabra.

Abracadabra: You will join her soon enough.

He smiles evilly at Kent before disappearing in a flash of light as Madam Xanadu runs through the beads and takes off into the back room. Unknown to anyone, Kent's cane stood up on its own and flashes a golden light before vanishing.

Mount Justice; August 19, 19:39 EDT

Computer: Initiate Combat Training. 3,2,1.

Everyone was in their civilian outfits except for Robin and Ant-Man, who were out helping their mentors. James, wearing an undershirt, charges Superboy, shirtless, who ducks underneath his assault before landing a strike of his own pushing James back a little. He comes back with a flying spin kick. Superboy tries to hit him again but James flips backwards.