Substitute Lover: 6

Contradictory to Zhenzhen's shocked response, Jing Yi, hearing the footsteps of Yan Xiuying coming closer, still continued to stroke the little system's fur nonchalantly.

Chen Li on the other hand stared at the two children making their way towards them and stepped forward in front of Jing Yi as if he was trying to protect her.

Yan Xiuying had on a friendly smile and behind her was Jian Min who seemingly was dragged over here by her.

"Hello." Yan Xiuying said warmly looking at Jing Yi who was hidden behind Chen Li. "I am Yan Xiuying, what is your name?"

The little system on Jing Yi's lap scowled at her.

[What is she playing at! She was glaring at you a few seconds ago and now she's being all nice?]

"Qiu Yi." Jing Yi replied indifferently, her head still lowered.

Yan Xiuying's smile seemed to droop a bit at the indifferent response but she managed to keep smiling enough to introduce the boy beside her.

"And this is my fiancee, Min-ge!" She said happily, her arms interlocked with Jian Min's, clearly stating her claim.

Jian Min sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck and introduced himself formally, "Hello, I am Jian Min."

Yan Xiuying then turned her gaze onto Jing Yi's little protector and blushed a little involuntarily. This boy was even more handsome up close! "Um, what is your name?" She asked softly.

Chen Li gave her an aloof stare and replied coldly, "Chen Li." He stared at the two intruders and continued. "What do you want?"

Yan Xiuying's smile drooped down fully this time.

Jian Min was also surprised at Chen Li's rude response and a little angered too. "Why are you being so rude? She only asked for your name!" His face was now rid of the pleasant smile he had on earlier.

Chen Li gave the boy a glance and turned his head, treating him as if he were air.

Zhenzhen stared at the male lead who looked as if he wanted to pounce on Chen Li and anxiously urged Jing Yi to step in.

[The male lead and his rival are already beginning to battle off at their first meeting. Host, you must stop them!]

'How?' Jing Yi questioned.

[You should apologise to Jian Min for Chen Li. After all, he can't stay mad at a girl who's apologising right?]

Jing Yi didn't hesitate to listen to Zhenzhen's words and immediately hopped off the chair and moved to stand beside Chen Li. "Sorry." She apologised, calmly lifting her gaze upwards to face Jian Min.

Chen Li looked at Jing Yi who was beside him, holding onto the rim of his shirt and his face instantly became more gentle.

Jian Min, on the other hand, stared at Jing Yi. The girl had kept her head down the whole time but now that she lifted her head, he could now see her face properly.

She was indeed extremely beautiful but what stood out to him the most was her serene eyes that were hidden by her long eyelashes. For some reason, as he looked into her eyes, he felt his anger disperse immediately. Her eyes seemed to have a strangely calming effect.

He stared curiously at the girl's eyes in a trance but was then interrupted by a hand covering Jing Yi's eyes and another hand pulling him back.

"What are you looking at?" Chen Li snarled, covering Jing Yi's eyes with a hand while his other hand pulled Jing Yi into an embrace.

"Min-ge." Yan Xiuying spoke unhappily and glared at Jing Yi. What a seductress, even going after her fiance!

Jian Min snapped out of his trance and awkwardly apologised. "Sorry, I didn't mean to stare."

Chen Li wasn't satisfied with his apology and began emitting a chilling aura that made Yan Xiuying and Jian Min take a step back.

Jian Min stared at the boy who was giving him an extremely cold glare in shock. He only stared at Jing Yi's eyes for a second so why was the boy looking at him so fiercely?

Yan Xiuying also stared at the boy in shock from behind Jian Min. He was so scary. She moved a little more behind Jian Min to avoid his gaze but couldn't help but be envious that Jing Yi had someone like that protecting her.

'What makes her so good anyways? She's only got her looks.' Yan Xiuying thought.

During this time, a voice rang out and interrupted the tense atmosphere.

"Chen Li!" Mrs Chen called out. "Ah, there you are-" She then paused a little seeing her son holding a little girl in his arms and mischievously smirked.

'Making your move already? That's my son.' She grinned teasingly, successfully making Chen Li blush. She then noticed the two other kids standing opposite them and immediately recognised them,

"Aren't you two the main stars of the engagement banquet?" She greeted.

Jian Min turned his attention away from Chen Li and greeted Mrs Chen back while Yan Xiuying stealthily scanned the woman talking to Chen Li.

Isn't this the Madam of the Chen family? Then that means! She turned her widened eyes towards Chen Li once again. The son of the Chen family?

Then who is that girl? There is no way someone of low status would be hanging out with the only son of the Chen family.

Ah, no way...

Yan Xiuying watched as Qiu Liling and Qiu Fushen made their way towards Chen Li and Jing Yi with Mr Chen following behind them.

"You rascal! Let go of my daughter immediately!" Qiu Fushen commanded furiously seeing his baby daughter getting hugged by Chen Li.

"Hahaha." Mr Chen laughed heartily and gave his son a thumbs up while Qiu Liling held Qiu Fushen back with a helpless sigh.

Chen Li had now gone completely red.

"Chen Li, I can't breathe." Jing Yi muffled between his chest.

Chen Li immediately pulled Jing Yi away from the embrace he had been holding her in and looked at her face. "Are you okay?"

Jing Yi's cheeks were now flushed from his clothes and her eyes appeared a little watery.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

Chen Li grabbed at his chest. His heartbeat was increasing rapidly. Why?

While Chen Li was caught in a dilemma, Yan Xiuying glared furiously at the ground using all her willpower to stop herself from going over to Qiu Yi and hurting her.

She had thought that Qiu Yi had a lower status than her but she turned out to be the daughter of the Qiu family? So that meant that she had equal status to her and better looks? Wouldn't people compare them both as they are both the only daughters of two extremely powerful families?

Yan Xiuying bit her lips and clenched her fists. She would never allow this!

.........................

A/N: I'm sorry for the long wait. Thank you very much for supporting my story and I hope you have enjoyed the chapter. <3