Substitute Lover: 16

Chen Li shut his eyes and listened to the sound of the girl's voice. It sounded quiet and serene, just like the owner of the voice. Slowly, his eyes were beginning to get heavier and just before he drifted off into sleep, he realised that Jing Yi has stopped speaking.

"Yiyi?" He called out to no response. He opened his eyes to find Jing Yi's resting face above him. 

'Oh, she fell asleep." He thought staring at her face. 'I haven't seen this face of yours in a while.'

He quietly looked around before raising her hand to his mouth and softly brushing them with his lips. He gazed at her hand before dropping his own hand onto his face as if an attempt to cover up his expression. 

"Ah, I'm such a bad guy." Chen Li whispered. "If you knew, would you still leave yourself vulnerable in front of me like this?" Despite being preoccupied with his own thoughts, he slowly but surely drifted off to sleep.

Coincidentally, the moment he shut his eyes, another pair of eyes opened.

"Hm?" Jing Yi voiced as she looked around at her surroundings. 'Zhenzhen, did I fall asleep?' She asked, staring at the fluffy ball that looked like it was about to explode.

[You did! ] Zhenzhen growled as it frowned at Chen Li. [Do you know what he did to you? He-]

The next few words seemed unable to come out of Zhenzhen's mouth, it's white fur suddenly turned a bright shade of pink causing Jing Yi to poke the fluffy ball with her finger.

'You can change colours?' Jing Yi questioned, her eyes shining brightly. 

[No!] The little system retorted. [Wait, that's not the point!] 

After a few more failed attempts of trying to explain to Jing Yi about what Chen Li did to her, it finally gave up. 'She doesn't need to know about how she was taken advantage of in her sleep! It would make her upset.' Zhenzhen nodded to itself, though unable to picture an upset Jing Yi.

[Oh right! Host, Yan Xiuying was sending you and Bai Feng some dirty looks in the cafeteria. I'm sure she's up to something!] It warned as it stared enviously at Chen Li's head being pat by Iing Yi.

Jing Yi noticed where the fluffy ball was staring and looked down at her other hand that was held tightly by Chen Li's.

She looked back and forth at Chen Li's hair and Zhenzhen's fur as if she was making a big decision. She seemed more concerned about the issue of who she should pet then Yan Xiuying scheming something.

[A-Anyways!] The little system coughed abruptly. [There's this upcoming banquet soon and this was where Jian Min unexpectedly bought Bai Feng as his female companion instead of Yan Xiuying.]

[To prevent any conflicts, Jian Min decided to not tell his parents of this arrangement beforehand and instead relied on the fact that because of the many guests, his parents wouldn't be able to act out in public.] Zhenzhen continued. 

[Yan Xiuying had already known about Jian Min bringing Bai Feng as his partner because Jian Min had warned her in advance. He said something along the lines of...] The fluffy white ball cleared it's throat, ["Just to be clear, find another partner for the banquet, it would be a shame if the princess of the Yan family showed up alone, now wouldn't it?"] 

'He said that?' Jing Yi questioned. 

[Right? The male lead we know behaves like such a wimp at times, I can't even imagine him saying that!] Zhenzhen shook it's head and quickly moved on before it's host decided to once again question what a certain word meant. [I guess he still wasn't completed cold-hearted though as he did decide to prevent her from the embarrassment of showing up with no partner by warning her in advance, despite it being done in quite a cruel way.]