Substitute Lover: 8

Chen Li stared at the bracelet on his wrist. The bracelet had a black and gold theme, with its main colour being black aside from the occasional eye-catching golden jewels along it. The bracelet wasn't extremely noticeable but once you saw it, you couldn't help but be captivated.

Chen Li gazed fondly at the bracelet, recalling the memories this bracelet brought.

"You go first." Jing Yi said as she eyed the jewellery box curiously.

"Okay." Chen Li said as he reached out to open the jewellery box in his hands revealing a black and red themed bracelet.

"Oh?" Jing Yi said tilting her head. She opened the jewellery box in her hands only to reveal a bracelet that was the same style as the one Chen Li had in his hands with the only difference being its colour scheme which was black and gold.

"Eh?" Chen Li said in shock.

Jing Yi and Chen Li had gone out for a shopping trip with their parents and agreed to both buy gifts for one another. Who knew that they would buy the same thing at such a large mall that offered plenty of variety.

"What a coincidence! You guys brought the same thing for one another? Ah, this is so cute!" Mrs Chen gushed. "Where is my husband? I need to tell him about this."

"What are the chances? You two now have matching bracelets." Qiu Liling smiled as the two children exchanged bracelets.

Chen Li put his one on and stared happily at it. He felt extremely happy. What are the odds that he and Jing Yi would buy the same gift for one another?

He turned to look at Jing Yi only to find her staring at the bracelet with curiosity.

"Aren't you going to put it on?" He asked nervously.

Jing Yi raised her head and made Chen Li's heart skip a beat. "Put it on for me." She said quietly.

'Perhaps she doesn't know how to put it on?' Chen Li thought.

Qiu Yi was quite independent and excelled at almost everything she did, just like him, which indeed did make him feel happy since he had something in common with her but sometimes he wanted her to reach out for help from him. Now that she's asking for his help, doesn't it mean that she finds him dependable?

With this thought, he grinned and motioned for her to come over. He slowly put the bracelet on her slender wrist and stared at it for a while. He then noticed how close their faces were and blushed.

"Um. Yiyi..." He began. "Let's make a promise."

"Hm?" Jing Yi replied, tilting her head to the side.

"Let's promise to keep these bracelets on forever and..." Chen Li turned his earnest gaze upwards to meet Jing Yi's pure and tranquil eyes. "Let's stay with each other forever."

Jing Yi thought for a while and nodded. "Okay, I promise."

Chen Li grinned and pulled her in for an embrace. His heart was beating faster than ever before and his face was dusted with a blush.

"You promised okay? You can't take it back. I'll make the same promise with you again when we're older."

'But next time, I'll use a ring instead...'

Chen Li stared at the bracelet in a trance but was then pulled out of that trance by a voice.

"Did your girlfriend give you that bracelet?" The curious voice interrupted.

Chen Li turned to stare at the perpetrator and found an attractive youth looking at him with a friendly grin.

"None of your business, Wen Cai." Chen Li replied coldly making Wen Cai put his hands up in defence.

Chen Li was now 17 years old and attending senior high school. This was his second year at the school and he had already made quite a name for himself, becoming one of the 'male gods' currently attending the school.

The previous handsome young boy had now grown up into an even more handsome youth. His soft strands of black hair framed his chiselled face perfectly and his cold eyes have grown even more frosty throughout the years. Along with his piercing eyes, he also emitted a frigid and closed off an aura, making one afraid to approach him. As if this wasn't enough, his high grades and family background intimidated everyone even more.

Even though many students held feelings of admiration and even affection for him, most of them were just too scared to approach.

For some reason, though Wen Cai was a little cautious around him, he was the only one at the school to approach him every day and start up conversations.

Chen Li thought it perhaps might be due to Wen Cai's family being extremely influential, only being slightly lower than the 4 big families, or maybe it was because Wen Cai simply just wanted to be friends with everyone.

He was the definition of a social butterfly, floating in and out of friend groups and radiating a naturally friendly aura that made one want to get closer. The exact opposite of Chen Li.

"Is it true that you have a girlfriend though?" Wen Cai questioned.

"What makes you ask that anyway?" Chen Li asked instead, leaving the question Wen Cai brought up unanswered.

"Have you not heard the rumours?" Wen Cai said with a shocked look only to receive Chen Li's cold stare.

"Alright, alright, geez! Remember those girls who confessed to you?" Wen Cai began, raising his hands to count. "How many was it again?"

"Just get to the point." Chen Li sighed raising his hand to his head. Such a blabbermouth.

"Well, didn't you reject them all the same? You just bluntly said no! Do you know how many girls you made cry?" Wen Cai said as he began scolding Chen Li.

"Does this even have anything to do with the rumours?" Chen Li said unamused.

"Oh, right. People were beginning to accept that you may not like girls but men instead!" Wen Cai said exaggeratedly. "Don't worry though, I don't judge!"

Chen Li's lip twitched and his face grew dark. Who on earth spread such a rumour about him?

"But then Tan An brought up that during a banquet that he attended when he was younger, he saw you with a girl! He didn't get a clear view of the girls face but you were being very intimate with her." Wen Cai giggled mischievously.

"I really want to see you being affectionate with someone. Anyways, now people are suspecting that you have a girlfriend or even secret fiancee." He continued. "Not to mention, you always look at that bracelet of yours with a loving gaze! People are suspecting it's a gift from your lover."

Chen Li sighed. Do people have nothing better to do with their time? But, the fact that people are calling Jing Yi his secret lover made him feel quite happy.

Wait a minute! Isn't she starting her first year today? 

Chen Li cursed under his breath and immediately got up and raced towards the school entrance leaving Wen Cai and the other students who were in the classroom stunned.

............................

A/N: Ta-da! A double update. Thanks for reading and I hope you have enjoyed the last two chapters! <3