17. Reux Dein Thale

NANDINI:

Intuitions are a perilous thing to believe in, because, they seem to be originated from the uncanny darkness, and beneath the deeper layers of mind, which is light in itself. Just the way we cannot acknowledge the logic behind them, we can't even deny the probability of them being true.

It's the worst when you have an eye for reality; you can see the things and hear, too, but a part of you without any sensory organs always turns up divulging a whole another story, as if conscience is not the only way to construe life, as if even the illogical solutions might have a point.

Because those same demons making you doubt your own discernment sometimes be the guardian angels making life more beautiful.

The insanity in me was true and so were his feelings. There wasn't a promise of love, nothing like a forever, but what we had was precious and that was all I cared for, reciprocation of heartfelt emotions.

After the kiss, I didn't want to leave him, but we had lots of things to focus. Manik persuaded me to move back to the police station as it was just afternoon, the day wasn't over and we probably couldn't risk on missing any information.

"So, you will be keeping an eye on Tyagi, looking for clues about these people 'Reux Den Thale'. If possible try to get some proof against the murderer. I will meet Cabir again; maybe he can give us some signal about all this," Manik said as we were about to step out of the bungalow.

As I walked away, I felt someone's gaze on me. Thinking of it to be Manik, I turned back with a smile but he was sauntering towards an opposite direction with his back on my side.

Why did I feel a void in my heart when I didn't find him looking at me?

"Manik," I called making him stop.

"We will meet in the evening, right?" I asked running into him being a little unsure about the current happenings, dubious of the future, afraid about the separation.

Manik seemed to understand my apprehension, looking at me from head to toe he smiled playfully, "Why do you want to meet me in the evening?"

Was he teasing me?

I scowled at his audacity. But maybe it was his way to keep calm because the look in his eyes mirrored that of mine.

"A promise of future is not really my thing, Nandini," He said in a somewhat serious tone. Only, if he knew that words were not the sole way to make promises as his eyes already did that.

I trusted him, again, just the difference being I wasn't dubious about getting another betrayal in return.

Reaching the police station, I moved to my cabin, everything seemed to be normal, the usual cases, sub-inspectors, constables, people registering their complaints, a few pick pockets in the locker.

Going through some files I tried to find out whether we had any records about 'Reux Dein Thale', but there was nothing. Trying to search for any crime records against Jack wasn't an option because he always had a clean-chit.

Playing with the paper-weight in confusion, I wondered what I was even searching for, because I didn't know if they were actually some humans or just random names for a mission. What if they were some code words?

I needed to know more about them, their stay in Mangalore, whether they were still present in the city, what was their connection with India's nuclear triad?

Police force was still searching for Manik Malhotra but the fact that except for his name they had no idea about anything else made it really difficult to get to him. Perhaps, Manik was smarter than this.