Chapter Twenty-Seven

Waking up Christmas morning was exciting for me, even when I was little, I never was because I knew I was not going to get anything except a book so at least I could tell the other kids I had something under the tree.

 I never got up early, why should I when my brother had over a hundred presents and would spend most of the morning opening them. No thank you I would rather lay in bed and watch the snow fall from my window; it is not like they missed me downstairs anyway. 

But this morning, I finally realized what I missed growing up and I made sure that our babies would never be left out for felt the way I did growing up. Walking downstairs I could hear Trisha and Derek in the kitchen, one of my favorite places to be ever since I became pregnant. As soon as I walked in, I was handed a nice hot cup of tea and I sat down while both cooked in the kitchen. I had to smile at how Trisha was telling Derek how to make things he already knew but he just smiled and said yes Trish.

 I did not think I could eat anymore after four pancakes, three waffles and a good helping of bacon. We made our way into the living room and Derek had me get comfortable on the couch, he then went ahead to bring me my gifts.

 Never in my life have I ever received so many. There had to be at least fifty or more gifts just for me. We all sat around and opened our gifts; I was in heaven. Between perfume and clothes for every stage of my pregnancy and even after, they knew I loved the big baggy shirts and sweaters with tights when I am hanging around the house. But the best gift was from Trisha to our babies. Twin cribs and matching outfits.

 I knew Derek ended up telling her, but he used his alpha powers to swear her to secrecy. We wanted to keep some things private, yes, I know good luck there with the mind links always seeming to go, but this one thing Derek had a handle on luckily. Trisha went home awhile after everything was opened and she helped Derek put the babies' stuff in their room. 

Derek and I sat there in front of the fireplace relaxing and watching the snow come down. We spent the rest of the morning and a bit into the afternoon cuddling by the fire and just enjoying each other since we know this time next year, we will not get the quietness with twins running around. 

Realizing it was past one in the afternoon, I tried to get off the couch, but my stomach was in the way, so Derek had to help me slide off the couch, "I swear my stomach is twice the size it was this morning" I said as I stood up, "Sweetheart you have two babies in there, did you think you weren't going to grow?" he asked as he kissed my forehead.

 I knew he was right but damn I was not going to admit it to him right at that moment, I was not in the mood. I was enjoying the relaxing time with my husband but as luck would have it being a part of a big pack, there was not relaxing time very often well for Derek there was not. 

Thankfully, Trisha and ten other women were coming over to get things ready for dinner since they knew there was no way I could cook for over a hundred people let alone move around the kitchen very well. Suddenly there was a lot of noise coming from the front entrance. "Trisha we just can't walk into the alphas home anymore; they are married and what will Lori think of us just waltzing in and not knocking?" one of the older women asked. 

"Well, if it was anyone else there would be words but since we knew you all were showing up, we don't have an issue this time" Derek spoke as we were walking down the hallway. His settle way of saying this was the only time he will allow it to happen. 

Everyone got the message loud and clear. Sitting in the kitchen watching all the women work I felt so useless but as always Trisha scoff at me and said I had the most important job of everyone here, smiling she handed me a plate to sample as she called it. That women always knew how to make me laugh but I did not argue as I was hungry. 

Derek was off in his office making sure everything was good within the pack and all lose ends were fixed so for the next two days he could take off and just enjoy being with everyone. He knew it was a long shot but one he was hoping would work. 

Trisha sent a couple of the younger women out to the barn to make sure the heaters were running, even thought our blood runs hotter than the average human, we still can freeze and wanted it a nice temperature when we ate. 

The house could hold the whole pack, but Derek did not want me to worry about any messes, so he set it up with Trisha to have dinner and music in the barn. He had a lot of the men come over and set up a tree and decorations with their wives the other day, so no one had to be anywhere except with their families. 

"Well do I get to taste any of the wonderful food?" Derek asked as he walked into the kitchen to get a drink, I just finished my plate and smiled at him, he winked at me as Trisha just gave him a stern look, "Not only the alpha female gets to have samples" she said, and she winked at me. I had to laugh at the banter between those two. 

There was love and respect. Suddenly, a man ran in, "Alpha, the barn is on fire" he yelled, we all jumped up and went to see what was going on, as I got to the window, I could see the flames engulf the whole barn. "Did everyone get out?" I asked the man. "Luckily yes, there were only a few of us left setting up the tables when the smoke started from the loft, I didn't see anyone or smell anyone up there, so I don't know how it happened" he said. 

When I turned around Derek was already out there with about fifty of the men from the pack, all the women came into the house and into the kitchen to watch what was going on, I knew Derek had this all under control, but something was eating at me, why would anyone want to burn down the barn? How was it set when the man said it started in the loft and he did not see or smell anyone? something was not adding up.

 I turned to the man and walked over to him, "I never caught your name" I said to him. He just looked blankly at me, "sorry alpha, I am Deke" he told me. I nodded my head and Trisha came up to stand next to me. I did not like the look on her face when she saw who I was talking to, I will have to remember to ask her about it later.

 I could hear the sirens come close and there were four fire trucks and men running around setting things up and spraying the hoses at the fire, even though there was no saving the barn, we did not need anything else catching on fire at this point.

 I went to sit down on the couch and the other women started to file into the family room with me, I felt unease with this many women in one room, but Trisha patted my hand, "this is what we do, we support each other and since you are alpha female all the women of age come to tend to the female and since you are also caring the next heir, they are on guard and protecting you," she whispered into my ear. 

I mouthed a thank you, she knew this was all new to me and wanted to reassure that I was loved and wanted within this pack, and this is how they showed it as they can. I sat there watching all the women look at me from time to time and smile, it was on my shoulders to rally everyone since this was what I was meant for. 

"Trisha, we have all the food still in the kitchen?" I asked, she thought for a moment "yes we do, nothing was taken out yet" she informed me. "Okay good, what I want is for everyone to set up tables and chairs in the family room, and living rooms, we will still have our dinner and party, it won't be the same as in the barn, but we will just have to make do" I spoke loud enough for all the women to hear. 

They all smiled and got right to it, it was a combination on still having the party and something to do instead of just standing around. Trisha smiled at me and patted my hand, "well done my child" she said as she got up to help where she could.

 I sat there feeling a lot better about what was going on, Derek had it handled outside, and I had everything under control in the home, a pair working together just as it should be, I thought.