The List

It was a hazy day in the colony of Daibazaal. The twins, Keith and Acxa, stood near each other as they waited patiently for the adapted list to be published. Keith felt anxious about his chosen role in the Galran empire. As a way to delay the thought of the Purge, the boy glanced around. As he did, Keith could see his classmates and childhood friends that he had known for years. Some people in the crowd were uninterested and bored while others were just as nervous.

Also in the group, was the daughter of Commander Samuel Holt and Lieutenant Colleen Holt. Katie once had a brother, but he was deemed as an 'Unwanted' a few years back. She never saw him again after that. Despite that troubling anecdote, she has lived a content life in the Officer quadrant located near the northern area of the Garrison Base with her parents.

Lance McClain was the son of farmers near the necessary farms around the warrior college. His sister, Veronica, was assigned a warrior. Because of her position, she was able to bring her family to a better living environment than the necessary quadrant. Hunk Garret used to live near Lance before he was moved. His family is known for the food and home remedies around Daibazaal. As the eldest child, he hoped to at least be accounted as necessary, like his parents, so he could stay with his family.

Keith and Acxa prayed to be assigned as warriors like their parents. Unfortunately, their mother died during a high-risk expedition to gain quintessence from an unknown region. The memory haunted the Kogane family, but that didn't affect their education and physical training.

The sound of the microphone feedback silenced the crowd. "Attention for Lord Zarkon has arrived for the annual graduation purge," Sendak announced.

The crowd divided into sections according to their role in the community. These segments are known as officers, necessary, and warriors.

Those with such feeble traits were deemed Unwanted. Since the higher counsel sees Unwanteds as irrelevant to society, they're forced into the trans-reality field. There, they would die from the Dark Spores during hunting season. Death Valley, the Dark Spore's natural habitat, and the common setting in most children's tales parents tell their kids when they misbehave. The traditional story is about how those who are sent there see a reality where they would have been successful. Instead, they're burdened with the knowledge of what they could've had, but not have achieved.

The summer Katie's brother, Matt, was sent away to the cruel place, she was never the same. Keith had noticed a dullness in her emerald eyes. She cut her hair and still held on to her brother's glasses, even though the frames were unnecessary. Instead of using the name Katie, she was referred to as Pidge now, a nickname Matt gave her. She began to speak more about the topics Matt had been interested in, like computers and technology, rather than her investments like nature and wildlife. Her friendship with Romelle and Razavi began to fade over time as she started to join a different crowd of people. Pidge's relationship with Lance, Hunk, and the twins strengthened in the absence of her lost brother.

Pidge was closer to the twins after the incident. Keith and Axca could relate very much with what the shorter girl had gone through. Their cousin Shiro was sent off to Death Valley when Keith and Axca were younger. At least five graduates were labeled Unwanteds and shipped away and were never to be seen or heard of again.

Lord Zarkon commenced, "Another successful year for the Galran Empire yet again my subjects! We have excellent leaders and exceptional workers in the making. However, I am disheartened that the majority of the graduates are not as fortunate."

The Emperor looked down at the Daibazaal Colony in disgrace, and whispers emerged from the silence.

"But now, we will begin with the Purge. As always, we start with our officers, Ezor, Narti, Kinkade, and Leifsdottir," Zarkon announced the names. The following cadets proceeded onward to collect their forms and stood alongside Lieutenant Holt.

💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚([PLEAS READ] A/N: so from here down I didnt get it edited so if there's grammar mistakes please know that my sister @Kat_The_Multishipper is doing that. But she has her own works to work on. Check her channel out when you have the chance. Ok, Back to the story)❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

"Now for our warriors. Lance, Acxa, Zethrid, and Razavi," Zarkon said five more names that were not Keith's. The boy watched, sacredly, as his sister as she gave one last look before saying goodbye to him. Even if Keith were to be assigned 'Necessary' he would never see his sister again.

"Co' mon Keith, let's go to the arena!" little Acxa grasped the boy's hand as they ran down the dusty road. The two eleven-year-olds pushed through the crowd to watch The Purge. They soon got to a spot where they could see the graduates. A familiar face was spotted but the young mullet boy.

"Look it's cousin Shiro" Keith pointed out as he lifted his finger to show his sis he was on the platform. The boy was smiling as he watched his cousin walk across the stage.

"Oh no," the girl whimpered as she started to shake. Her eyes started to water when she saw where he was going.

"What?" Keith asked as his smile turned into a worried frown, "What's wrong?". Acxa opened her mouth to speak but quickly closed it.

"What it is Axca", Keith asked as he followed the gaze of his sister to their cousin in Galran uniform. The boy gasped as he saw that Shiro was walking towards the Death Keeper.

"Three more years and that will be both of us down there," Keith said as he watched another student walk towards the Death Keeper. Keith opened his eyes wide, as he could open them, as he realized who the boy was. Lotor.

The ruler of the Galra Empire deemed his son Unwanted, that is how cruel the Emperor is.

"HOW COULD YOU", empires Honeva screeched in horror as she watches her son walk to the man that was to kill him.

"I'm sorry" Acxa whispered in regret as her head hung low. Keith looked at her in confusion but shrugged it off.

A hand was pressed on Keith's shoulders to take him out of his thoughts. The boy looked up to see that it was his father's hand. The man held him in a tight grip almost as if holding him would make his son stay. 

"Did they call my name for the Necessaries?", he asked, not looking up. There was no response for a millisecond. The silence scared Keith the most, it was as if the purge was at the bottom of the list of things he fears.

"Unfortunately no", he whispered into the boy's ear. "Remember Shiro and your mother on the way there." the man did the trademark Kogane smirk as he said, "tell them, Axca and I said hi", it was the sad version of the smirk. He looked down at his son, getting one last look before Zarkon started to speak the names of this year's Unwanteds.

A total of fifteen names were called, Keith being one of them.