The Great Game (Part 4)

"Raoul de Santos is your killer. Kenny Prince’s houseboy. Second autopsy shows it wasn’t tetanus that poisoned Connie Prince – it was botulinum toxin." Sherlock told Lestrade while Vaness was on the phone, calling John.

"We’ve been here before. Carl Powers? Tut-tut. Our bomber’s repeated himself." Sherlock said.

John told Vaness in the phone that he was already in a Cab, going back home, then asked how Sherlock solved it. So Vaness put him on speaker.

"So how’d he do it?" Lestrade asked.

"Botox injection." Sherlock answered.

"Botox?" Lestrade ask.

"Botox is a diluted form of botulinum. Among other things, Raoul de Santos was employed to give Connie her regular facial injections. My contact at the Home Office gave me the complete records of Raoul’s internet purchases..." He points to the folder. "...He’s been bulk ordering Botox for months. "

"Bided his time, then upped the strength to a fatal dose." Sherlock finished.

"You sure about this?" Lestrade asked.

"I’m sure." Sherlock said.

"All right – I need to go." Lestrade said.

Lestrade closes the door behind him.

John, still from the phone, said, "Why did you even send me here?"

Sherlock stayed quiet.

"Don't worry John, I'll tell you everything original when you come back." Vaness said.

"Fine." John said ending the call.

Sherlock walk towards his wall of clues. He continued what he was doing earlier. He was muttering to himself, trying to find out who the bomber was.

When John came back, he immediately asked Vaness what happened. She told him he convinced Sherlock not to prolong the old woman's agony and Sherlock agreed.

"So you mean to tell me, if you hadn't convinced him, he would have just let that poor old lady there?!" John asked. He was starting to get extremely angry and disappointed at Sherlock.

"He listened." Vaness told him. She caught John's eyes, "Sherlock listened. I think that's what matters."

John calmed down. Which was nice because Sherlock was also there in the living room, not listening to them, but still.

MORNING. 221B.

Sherlock and John are sitting in their armchairs, Vaness was at the kitchen finishing their breakfast, watching the news on the TV. Sherlock has the pink phone on the left arm of his chair. The windows are still broken and boarded up and the traffic is loud outside.

John filled Sherlock on what would've happened.

"12 people would have died." John said looking down.

"Would have. But didn't." Sherlock said. He then frowned, "Why?"

"She described his voice, softly she said." Vaness told him from the kitchen.

"He would have killed the old lady because she started to describe him." Sherlock said, his eyebrow arched.

He raises a finger on his other hand.

"Just once, he put himself in the firing line." Sherlock said still frowning.

Then as if he was hit by lightning, there was a glint in his eyes.

"Ah, ofcourse" he said.

"What d’you mean?" John asked.

"Well, usually, he must stay above it all. He organises these things but no-one ever has direct contact." Sherlock said.