A Scandal In Belgravia (Part 4)

Later, when Vaness is in her room asleep, the boys are back upstairs. John fixes himself a drink in the kitchen and then comes into the living room where Sherlock is taking off his coat.

"Where is it now?" John asked Sherlock.

"Where no-one will look." Sherlock replied.

Walking across to the window, he picks up his violin and turns his back to the room.

"Whatever's on that phone is more than just pictures." John said.

"Yes, it is." Sherlock agreed.

He tinkers with his violin and checks its tuning. John watches him for a moment.

"So, she's alive then. How are we feeling about that?" John said remembering his meeting with Irene Adler.

In the distance, Big Ben begins to toll the hour. Sherlock pulls in a sharp breath.

"Happy New Year, John." Sherlock greeted.

"Do you think you'll be seeing her again?" John asked.

Turning around but not yet meeting his eyes, Sherlock picks up his bow and flips it in the air before catching it and then starting to play "Auld Lang Syne," looking pointedly at John. John gets the message and sits down in his chair while Sherlock turns back to the window and continues to play.

John sat there listening, and he couldn't help himself anymore, he asked what he really wanted to ask from the start, "You told Vaness to stay, didn't you?"

Sherlock acted as if he didn't hear him.

DAY TIME.

Vaness woke up early, really early. She went up to the boys' flat, when no one else was awake. She went to the kitchen and cooked breakfast for all of them, like she used to.

She was halfway through cooking when John came from behind her. John was drawn in by her cooking.

"Well, that's one thing I've missed." John said smiling.

He walked towards the kitchen and prepared their morning tea.

"I've missed it as well." Vaness said to him with a smile.

She finished her cooking and served him and John food, living Sherlock's on the kitchen table. They sat on the dining table.

"Should we wait for Sherlock?" John asked.

Vaness look at him pointedly.

"Oh right. Right, still avoiding him." John said with a grin.

Vaness raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything. She ate her food and so did John. John looked thoughtful for a while, "He told you to stay, didn't he?" He asked.

Vaness looked up to him, "He didn't. He told me, 'stay here, wait for John', it was only about my bruises." She said.

"But you want it to mean more than that." John said.

"Who wouldn't?" She asked. Everyone in love with Sherlock would wish that meant more if it was said to them.

"Well, I for one thinks he means more than just to wait for me." John told her.

Vaness grunted.

"You and Mycroft are never going to stop giving me false hopes, aren't you?" She said.

"Well, besides for you, Mycroft and I know Sherlock best." John said then he looked thoughtful, "I think you believe us because you can see it too. You are just refusing to admit it to yourself so you don't hope too much."