The Hounds Of Baskerville (Part 1)

John was the happiest at the news of Sherlock and Vaness' relationship. He said that now that they were official, no one would think he and Sherlock is a thing. Vaness burst his bubble when she said that people would now think that Vaness and Sherlock's relationship is a cover for John and Sherlock. John grunted at that.

"Don't worry John, you will always be Sherlock's first wife." Vaness said to him teasingly one day on a case.

Lestrade chuckled.

"What? First wife?" John asked baffled.

"Yes. I'm his second wife." Vaness replied.

John facepalmed at that and Vaness laughed, Sherlock meanwhile continued examining a corpse.

Mrs Hudson was also happy, because she treated Vaness like a daughter and she loved it that Sherlock and Vaness brought the better of each other. Whenever Sherlock makes a mess, Vaness will be there to clean it up, without Sherlock getting angry because Vaness memorized the way he likes things to be.

Nothing really changed much. Everything was back to the way it was before Irene Adler. Vaness would go to work and only join in cases if she has free time, she still has to pay for her room.

Sherlock and Vaness didn't suddenly turn all cuddly. They were not like that. The changes were more subtle. Like the way Sherlock would offer his arm instead of just dragging her, though sometimes he still did. And the way Sherlock memorized everything about Vaness, like she only drinks milk, tea, or hot chocolate, and never coffee. And that Vaness likes to read on the sofa and not her couch, giving Sherlock the opportunity to lay down, his head on her lap. Besides all that, everything was normal.

This morning, Vaness was reading a book on the sofa while John was at his armchair. Sherlock was on a case, neither Vaness nor John came with him when he woke them so early in the morning because both took long shifts the day before.

Suddenly the living room door bursts open and Sherlock charges in, stopping just inside the room and slamming the end of a long pole down onto the ground. Sitting in his armchair, John looks round and his eyes widen at the sight of his flatmate, who is wearing black trousers and a white shirt and whose arms, face and shirt are covered with blood - far too much blood for it to be his own - and who is holding a harpoon. Vaness also looked up, then closed her eyes. She was too tired for an episode. Sherlock looks round to John then to his back at Vaness, breathing heavily.

"Well, that was tedious." Sherlock said still breathing heavily.

"You went on the Tube like that?!" John asked loudly.

"None of the cabs would take me." Sherlock replied irritably. He turns around, walking towards Vaness.

"No, no, no, no Sherlock. Go and shower first." She said sternly.

Sherlock pouted, though he would never admit it, and head towards the bathroom.

Later he is back in the room having cleaned himself up and changed into a clean shirt and trousers with one of his blue dressing gowns over the top. He is still carrying the harpoon and is pacing rapidly between the door and the window, looking round repeatedly at John who is sitting in his chair and flicking through the newspapers.

"Nothing?" Sherlock asked John.

"Military coup in Uganda." John said.

"Hmm."

John chuckles in amusement when he sees something in one of the papers.

"Another photo of you with the, er ..." John trails of as he points to a photograph of Sherlock wearing the deerstalker hat. Sherlock makes a disgusted noise and continues pacing.