The Great Game (Part 5)

HICKMAN GALLERY

Sherlock is standing in front of the Vermeer painting, looking up information on his phone. He calls up subjects such as "Vermeer brush strokes," "Pigment analysis," "Canvas degradation," "UV Light damage," "Delft Skyline, 1600," and "Vermeer influences."

John, Vaness, Lestrade and Miss Wenceslas are standing behind him.

"It's a fake. It has to be." Sherlock said.

"That painting has been subjected to every test known to science." Miss Wenceslas retorted.

"It's a very good fake, then." Sherlock said.

He spins around and glares at her.

"You know about this, don't you? This is you, isn't it?" He said glaring.

Miss Wenceslas turns to Lestrade, looking exasperated. "Inspector, my time is being wasted. Would you mind showing yourself and your friends out?"

The pink phone rings. Sherlock snatches it from his pocket and switches on the speaker.

"The painting is a fake." Sherlock stated.

There's a faint sound of breathing over the speaker but otherwise there is no response.

"It's a fake. That's why Woodbridge and Cairns were killed." Sherlock said to the phone.

Still there's nothing more than breathing.

"Oh, come on. Proving it's just the detail. The painting is a fake. I've solved it. I've figured it out. It's a fake! That's the answer. That's why they were killed."

When the phone remains silent, Sherlock takes a deep breath to calm himself.

"Okay, I'll prove it. Give me time. Will you give me time?" Sherlock asked hopefully.

After a moment, the tremulous voice of a very young boy comes over the phone's speaker.

"Ten ..."

Instantly Sherlock spins and looks closely at the painting.

"It's a kid. Oh, God, it's a kid!" Lestrade said shock.

"What did he say?" John asked.

"Ten." Sherlock muttered.

"Nine ..."

Vaness grabbed Sherlock's hand, getting his attention. Sherlock looked at her eyes. Suddenly there was a glint in his eyes.

"Jesus!" Lestrade said.

"Eight ..."

Sherlock's gaze falls on three tiny white dots of paint in the night sky. His mouth falls open as the penny finally drops.

He looked at Vaness again he smile at her.

"Seven..."

"In the planetarium! You heard it too. Oh, that is brilliant! That is gorgeous!" Sherlock said.

Turning and shoving the pink phone into John's hands, he walks away from the painting, grinning as he pulls out his own phone from his pocket.

"Six..."

"What's brilliant? What is?" John asked.

Sherlock rapidly types "Astronomers" and "Supernovas" into his phone, then turns back and walks towards the others, laughing in delight.

"This is beautiful. I love this!" Sherlock said loudly.

"Five..."

"Sherlock!" Lestrade yelled angrily.