The Reichenbach fall (Part 3)

ST ALDATE'S SCHOOL.

Greg's car drives into the grounds of the boarding school and pulls up outside the front entrance. Two police cars are already there and a woman is standing in front of one of them, leaning against the bonnet wearing a shock blanket around her shoulders and crying while a uniformed female police officer talks reassuringly to her. A man, probably a plain clothed police officer, is also talking to her but walks away as Greg, Sally and the three get out of the car and approach. The woman blows her nose on her handkerchief.

"It's all right." A female police officer said comfortingly.

"Miss Mackenzie, House Mistress. Go easy." Lestrade said quietly to Sherlock.

He stays back and lets Sherlock and Vaness walk over to the woman on their own. Vaness would've let him do it alone but he wasn't letting go pf her hand. They both weren't.

"Miss Mackenzie, you're in charge of pupil welfare, yet you left this place wide open last night..." he raises his voice angrily, "...What are you: an idiot, a drunk or a criminal?"

He grabs the blanket and abruptly pulls it from around her shoulders. She gasps in fear as he glares furiously at her.

"Now quickly, tell me!" Sherlock yelled.

"All the doors and windows were properly bolted. No-one - not even me - went into their room last night. You have to believe me!" Miss Mackenzie replied tearfully and cringing in terror.

Sherlock's demeanour instantly changes and he smiles reassuringly and gently takes hold of her shoulders. Vaness also placed her hand comfortingly on her.

"I do. I just wanted you to speak quickly." Sherlock said softly.

"Sorry about that." Vaness said quietly.

Sherlock looks at the nearby police officers as they turn and walk away.

"Miss Mackenzie will need to breathe into a bag now." He said.

She sobs in distress and the female police officer hurries over to comfort her.
Shortly afterwards, inside the school, Sherlock and Vaness leads the others into one of the dormitories.

"Six grand a term, you'd expect them to keep the kids safe for you. You said the other kids had all left on their holidays?" John asked.

Sherlock has already looked in a cupboard beside one of the beds and now drops to his knees and peers under the bed, Vaness had to do the same as he wasn't letting go.

"They were the only two sleeping on this floor. Absolutely no sign of a break-in." Lestrade answered.

Sherlock picks up a lacrosse stick lying on the floor and gets to his feet while looking at the stick closely. Vaness let go of his hand and he looked at her questioningly.

"You need to focus on solving this case, I'll be by your side, but you need both hands." She whispered to him.

Sherlock sighed, then went back to the lacrosse stick and briefly wields it as if using it as a weapon but then apparently decides it wasn't used in that way and drops it to the floor.

"The intruder must have been hidden inside some place." Lestrade said.

Sherlock goes over to a wooden trunk and opens the lid, Vaness stayed beside him. Amongst the other items inside the trunk Sherlock finds a large brown envelope with a wax seal on the back which has already been broken as if someone has opened the envelope. Inside is a large hardback book. Carefully checking the envelope first, he then takes out the book and flips it over to look at the cover. The book is "Grimm's Fairy Tales." He looks along the edges of the book and then riffles the pages quickly. Finding nothing of interest, he looks up.