A call from destiny

Sawamura Daichi was an employee in an online selling company. The firm was pretty big, and he was taking charge of the merchandise reserve. His job was to update the number of items in stock, by the messages and calls he was receiving from other employees who were counting a specific kind of item. Every morning, after each one of the employees had counted up their goods, they would call their superior to his office to update the amount of their product. then their superior would call Daichi, et caetera. During the day, he would receive light signals on his control panel, which would indicate if there was less or more items than before. 

Daichi found his job pretty boring, but he couldn't afford leaving everything behind him. Moreover, he didn't have enough courage to do it. As a 26 year old man, he was dreaming of travels and parties, and having a thrilling life. But his parents had told him several times that this kind of life wasn't healthy, and that it wouldn't make him wealthy. They had told him that these hopes were illusions, and that nobody could live like this for years. So he began to think that those dreams were childish and unreachable, because of his parents. Daichi didn't want to disappoint his parents more than he already had, due to the fact that he told them three years before that he was attracted to men more than women. They had a hard time accepting it, but Daichi stood proud an they couldn't do anything but live with it. The thing was that Daichi wasn't homosexual, but more bisexual with a noteworthy preference towards men, so his mother kept the hope that he would finally get married with a woman and have children.

Daichi was far away from these thoughts. He didn't want to get married at the moment. And especially not with a woman, because he couldn't see himself live his whole life with a woman. It was because of his preference for men, but he had always repeated himself to stay open minded, and that there were chances that he'd fall in love with a woman again. 

Daichi had fell in love two times in his life. His first love was a girl, in high school. He had really good times with her, experiencing love as an unknown path. During their third year, she left him when he told her he discovered he was attracted to boys too. Daichi had always been very understanding with her ex-girlfriend. When he was telling this story, he kept repeating this : "I can understand her. Imagine if your boy/girlfriend walked up to you and said 'hey, I think I want to have sex with another guy'. That would be kind of scary." 

The second person he fell in love with was a man, in college. He unfortunately had to experience unrequited love. The man was straight, and it was painful to handle for Daichi, who went trough a really hard time that year. After this, he had some other relationships, that lasted one week utmost. His love life was filled by one night stands, once in a while, who could help him forget his boring life for some hours. He was happy with this behaviour, and didn't really want a committed relationship, since he thought that would just bring more trouble in his life. That was true, in a way : if he was with a man, his parents would be severe and distant with his beloved one ; if it was a woman, they would keep bothering her for a marriage, and kids, and a cottage near the beach, and so much more things. Either gender, his parents would never find his significant other good enough, and Daichi sometimes wanted to tell them to shut up so he could live his life the way he wanted. But either gender, his boy/girlfriend would ask him emotional support on a daily basis, and he felt like it was a difficult thing to provide to others. Maybe it was due to the fact that he hadn't fell in love in a long time. Maybe.

Thinking about all the things that could go wrong in his life, Daichi sighed. He was driving to work, as every day.  He parked his car and climbed up the stairs of the building. Once he was in the hallway, he took the elevator to the sixth floor, where his office was. He put the key in the keyhole and opened the door on a light grey, spacious room, with a wide desk in the middle of it. There was a large computer on the desk, surrounded by pictures of him and his best friend, from high school to their adult life. He also had a picture of him and his older brother, when they were kids, playing in the park. He found quite funny that everyone had pictures of their wife, husband, children, whereas he was just looking at his brother and his best friend Asahi. He turned his computer on and began to work. The phone rang around thirty minutes later.