Chapter 9

"If I make and sing a song where we can be together, will you come back and look for me through the end of this canyon even if you might encounter danger on the way?"

The atmosphere that encircles them into a bubble formed by ice made them shiver. The coldness was unbearable and hard to endure.

With Chaeyoung's cold and shaking hands, with her cold feet under her shoes, with her low body temperature that goes lower and lower due to the cold air, even if Mina tried to give her heat by hugging her earlier, she's still cold.

She shook her head and tried to wipe away the thought of getting cold and rubbed her hands. She then tries to stand up to move and heat her body up, but Mina tightened her grip on the latter's arms and pulled Chaeyoung's hands that were resting on her waist closer, unwilling to let go of the embrace and stand up from comfortably sitting beside the younger girl, unwilling to call it a day, unwilling to process that the day will soon be over, that the time for them will be finally over. And she drastically failed to hold Chaeyoung in place, just like how she would later on when she will be the one to let go without fighting.

Chaeyoung shivered and let out a whine while shaking her body and rubbing both of her palms together to get enough friction and heat. Even though Mina's scarf was around her neck and Mina was close to provide and share some of her body's heat, it wasn't enough as it is getting colder. And Chaeyoung is cold, very cold, "it's so cold, Mina. I might freeze."

Mina smiled sadly and said, "sorry, just wanna spend the time with you as long as I can... you know, it'll be a long day tomorrow I would not see you for hours," a lie. Mina smiled as she lose her grip on Chaeyoung. They both stood up then started walking agaij....

Mina reached for Chaeyoung's cold hand and intertwined it with hers for the nth time, wanting to feel Chaeyoung's warmth (though not literally as her hand is freezing cold) before letting go of it again anytime soon. While sighing from time to time by seeing the end of the street indicating they are near to the bus stop where they always part ways, Mina held back her tears.

Mina smiled bitterly and bit her cheeks and tongue from inside her mouth. She clenched her fists behind her back until her knuckles went white and her nails dug into her skin on the palm. She hid her emotions and put all of it on tightening her fist and biting her lower lip and clenching her jaw.

And it wasn't long enough until they reached the peak.

"See you again, Mina!" Chaeyoung waved at her and jumped up the bus. But Mina didn't– and couldn't– wave back. Mina couldn't even smile back as genuine as her smiles earlier. Mina can't even say anything to say goodbye. So, she just smiled sadly while feeling her tears slowly flooding her eyes before it drop into the ground with so much heaviness. She looked down with her shoulders also pointing down, she closed her eyes tight and bit her lips to restrain a sob from coming out. Once again after two years, she felt empty.

Goodbyes... is it necessary? If there's a word that Mina always use to hate, that word is goodbye. Where the hell is the good in goodbyes like where is the nice in nice try? Goodbyes always indicate pain and longing and results to those, but is she not going to get hurt if she didn't say goodbye? No. No matter what, she'll feel the pain.

Chaeyoung, on the other hand, kept her gape on Mina who is standing sadly while looking down at the bus stop, the same bus stop where she always see Mina smile while waving happily and shouting her name without shame, the same bus stop she never thought would be the last spot she'll ever see Mina...