In Another Life (2)

"In another life,
I would make you stay,
So I don't have to say,
You were the one that got away,
The one that got away."

"Thank you very much for the mysterious singer of the song, 'The One That Got Away,'." said the DJ.

Cassandra took off the headphones and head out of the studio. She saw her best friend who were fiddling with her phone.

"Raps," she said.

The brunette raised her head from her phone and smiled at her. "That was an amazing performance, Cass! I just don't get it why you don't want them to know your face and name — making yourself the 'Mysterious Singer'."

"Because I need my privacy. I'm part of the police force, Raps. It's not something that I should take lightly," Cassandra pointed out.

"Figures."

---

In another life.

"Why the heck are you calling me at 3 in the morning, Raps? It's my day off!" Cassandra ranted.

"I know, I know," said her best friend. "It's just that I have a problem. I've been feeling sick since yesterday. I didn't want to call Eugene because I know he'll just panic. You're the first person that popped into my mind," she reasoned out.

Cassandra sighed. "Fine. Let's go the nearest clinic. Meet me at the park. I'll take my car."

"Thank you!" Rapunzel said with a huge smile.

Cassandra ended the call and opened her laptop, searching something.

--

"Hop in," Cassandra opened the door of the shotgun seat for her friend.

Rapunzel quickly sat next to her and yawned. "Where are we heading?" She asked.

"The clinic at Old Corona, the city next to Corona. The clinic here is closed today," she stated.

"Oh, okay," said the brunette and opened the small player.

I would be your girl.

Cassandra quickly turned of the player, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Hey." Rapunzel frowned. "Why did you stop it? It's your voice."

"I don't want to hear it," she simply said, her eyes on the road as she drives.

"But it's your own song. The song you wrote."

Cassandra sighed. "That's just it, Raps. I didn't wrote it."

"W-WHAT?!"

"I-I mean, I think I didn't wrote it. Ever since I was born, that song had been playing in my head! I don't remember writing the lyrics or whatsoever. Every time I hear it, I always feel like a huge part of me is being taken away." Her grip on the steering wheel tightened. "That's why I never wanted to hear it again."

"But everytime you sing it-"

"I wore a headphone that's not connected to the mic so I can't hear my voice and only hear the melody," she stated.

"Cass, I'm sorry. I-"

"It's okay, Raps. I'm sorry, I kept it a secret," she said. She stopped the car and looked around. "We're here."

The place was dark and both girls find it really creepy.

"This gives me the vibe that before I go here, I should've said my last goodbye to my parents," said the girl.

"It's your fault. It's 4 in the morning, Raps. What do you expect? The sun up by now?"

Cassandra gulped, a small feeling of dejavu and recognition in her mind. She knocked on the door and it was opened by a man.

"Good morning, I'm Quirin," he greeted with a smile. "Come in."

He instructed the two girls to take a seat on the chairs and wait.

"My son, the doctor, is still cleaning his office," he chuckled. "Anyway, what brings you here this early?"

Cassandra nudged Rapunzel's shoulder and the brunette quickly answered. "Oh, it's because I haven't been feeling fine since yesterday."

Quirin was about to say something when the clinic's phone rang. He answered it and after a few minutes he turned to the two.

"You can enter now," he stated and pointed at a door.

"Thank you," Rapunzel said with a smile and stood up. "You coming with me, Cass?"

The dark haired girl shook her head. "No."

"Alright. I'll be back after this," said the brunette and went to enter the Doctor's office.

We'd keep all our promises,
Be us against the world.

A familiar song played and Cassandra sat up straight, her eyes widening. She quickly searched her pockets, hoping to find her earphones. SHOOT! SHE FORGOT IT BACK HOME!

She slowly turned her head to Quirin. "Uh, sir. The song-" Quirin cuts her off.

"Oh, that song? My son's the one playing it. He loves that song and ever since it got released, there's no day he hasn't been playing it," he explained. "Varian thinks that it's a huge part of his life. Seemed kind of weird, right?"

Her heart skipped a beat when she heard the name, 'Varian.'

"V-varian?" Why is she stuttering?!

In another life,
I would make you stay.

"Yeah, my son. Do you know him?" Quirin asked.

"N-no. I-I don't think so," she answered.

Why does that name have this kind of effect in her?

So I don't have to say,
You were the one that got away.

Who are you, Varian?

They heard a door opened and Cassandra quickly kept her eyes on her phone, thinking that it was Rapunzel.

"Oh, Varian. What's wrong?"

The one that got away.

Cassandra frozed, her mind blank and her body not moving. Her head still low. Why is she acting like this? She felt like she wanted to cry for some reason. A sinking feeling on her stomach and her heart beating fast. What is this feeling?

She felt the man walked towards her.

"Miss? Are you any chance, C-cassandra? Rapunzel wanted to call you," he said.

He stuttered at her name too? Why? What's happening? She heaved a deep breath and tried to act like nothing is happening as she slowly raised her head and then...

Their eyes met.

In another life,
I would be your girl,
We'd keep all our promises,
Be us against the world.

It was like a waterfall of memory coming through her. One by one — not giving her any time to think. Every memory of her past life. It felt like her mind is going to burst with all of this information flowing inside her head.

Both of their eyes widened as they stared at each other. Cassandra felt her head shaking, her heart beating fast as her song played on the background.

In another life,
I would make you stay,
So I don't have to say,
You were the one that got away,
The one that got away.

"Casie!"

"Varian!"

Varian quickly pulled her towards him, hugging her so tightly. Tears started to fall from Cassandra's eyes as she hugged him back tightly — fearing that he'll leave her again.

In another life...

--

Should I make a short story following this universe? XD

I just love reincarnation stories.