Chapter 9: The Ride On the Raft

Y/N's POV

"Y/N!" a familiar voice shouted as a blanket and a pair of arms were wrapped around me. I couldn't move. I felt cold and weak. It was dark. "Frodo......" I managed to say, leaning into the person, but not opening my eyes.

"It's alright, Y/N. You're safe. We're on the ferry. How far to the nearest crossing?" I heard Frodo ask.

"Brandywine Bridge: Twenty miles." Merry answered.

I finally opened my eyes and could see the night sky and my friends around me. I turned my head and looked up at Frodo, who looked extremely worried. Tears started falling from my eyes and I buried my face in Frodo's chest.

"Is she alright?" I heard Pippin ask and felt him place a hand on my back.

"That thing touched her. I wouldn't be feeling too fine neither." Sam said. "How do you feel?" Frodo asked, stroking my hair.

"Everything feels dark and cold. I feel like I can't move. Like there's a permanent spell of darkness placed on me. And well...the water in this lake was cold too..."

"It'll be okay. We'll make it to The Prancing Pony and Gandalf will be there. He'll know what to do. It's alright." Frodo comforted.

I noticed I was clutching the necklace around my neck and I looked up to see Frodo wearing his. I smiled a little, but it faded. I could still hear the screeching of the Black Riders in the distance.

"Okay...maybe we won't pick mushrooms for so long next time. If it weren't for that, I'm sure we would've been away from those things. No more mushrooms." Pippin declared.

"It ain't the mushrooms fault! They would've caught up sooner of later!" Sam protested.

"Sam's right, Pippin. You can't blame those delicious mushrooms for things that nothing caused." Merry said.

"They are delicious. Especially those ones with the-"

"Stop talking about mushrooms!" Frodo interrupted Pippin in exasperation. He suddenly felt my face and said "She's as cold as ice!"

"Lemme see!" Pippin said, feeling my cheek with the back of his hand. "Yep. This is most likely a problem." he decided.

"Most likely? I swear, you two have no idea how much trouble she's gone through because of your sick games!" Sam told him.

"That wasn't our fault! It was that Rider's fault!" Merry exclaimed.

"Who cares?! She could be dying and all you three are doing is arguing. What are we supposed to do? How do we keep her warm?" Frodo said, wrapping another blanket around me. None of them helped. I still felt like a block of ice.

My head started spinning and it drooped down and hit Frodo's shoulder.

"I sure do hope Gandalf knows what to do." Merry said, looking at me sadly. "So do I. There's no knowing until we get there." Sam agreed.

We all sat in silence until...

"I've got an idea!" Pippin said, hopping up and rummaging through Sam's bag of food and pots and pans. From somewhere inside, he pulled out a bowl of soup that I hoped was warm.

"Here!" Pippin said, sitting down on the raft in front of Frodo and I and putting the bowl of soup up to my mouth.

I tried to drink (or eat) as much of the soup as I could, but I still felt horrible. I gave up on the soup and leaned on Frodo again. He brushed a stray hair out of my face and tucked it behind my ear. "It'll be okay, Y/N..." he said softly, his voice cracking.

He gently planted a kiss on my forehead and I closed my eyes and felt myself fall asleep.

Third Person POV

Y/N was running through the dark forest, a Black Rider chasing her from behind. She ran around trees and bushes, breathing heavily and sweat running down her face.

Another Rider appeared in front of her and she stopped in her tracks. As she turned in circles frantically, she noticed she was surrounded.

"Ring...Baggins..." one of the Riders said.

Y/N shook in fear and gulped, not daring to move or speak. "Baggins....." a different Black Rider demanded.

Unable to talk, Y/N remained silent. All at once, the Black Riders lunges at her.

"FRODO!!!!!!!!!!"