Chapter 12: The Longest Laugh

Y/N's POV

Frodo, Strider, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Bill the Pony, and I traveled over hills. I rode on good ole' Bill's back, still feeling as cold as ice, and Strider led Bill. All of the other hobbits lagged behind except for Frodo, who was walking beside Bill.

Strider hadn't told us where we were going, exactly, but I trusted him either way. He was very kind.

"Where are you taking us?" Frodo asked anxiously. He had been like that ever since we left. "Into the wild." Strider answered gruffily. He walked slower and I noticed he was smelling the air. Frodo and Merry were whispering behind Bill.

"How do we know this Strider is a friend of Gandalf?" Merry asked quietly.

"I think a servant of the enemy would look fairer and feel fouler." Frodo answered. "He's foul enough." Merry muttered, almost angrily.

"We have no choice but to trust him." Frodo reminded him.

"But where is he leading us?" Sam asked in a whisper. "To Rivendell, Master Gamgee. To the House of Elrond. They will be able to help, Y/N." Strider answered, apparently overhearing them.

"Did you hear that? Rivendell! We're going to see the Elves!" Sam said, breathlessly excited.

We kept walking (me riding) and were later found in a place where there were lots of bushes and trees, and light snow on the ground in some parts.

I sat on Bill as the other hobbits started unloading pots and pans from him. Strider turned around and said "Gentlemen, we do not stop until nightfall."

"What about breakfast?!" Pippin said in surprise.

"You've already had it."

"We've had one, yes

"We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?" Pippin told him matter-of-factly. Strider turned around, grabbing Bill and leading him away. From behind me, I heard Merry and Pippin talking. "Don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip." Merry said.

"What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?" Pippin questioned nervously.

"I wouldn't count on it."

Suddenly, an apple flew over my head and into Merry's hands. Merry patted Pippin on the shoulder. Another apple flew towards Pippin and hit him in the head. I burst into laughter and pointed at Pippin mockingly.

"Did you- see that- Strider?" I said in between laughs. I don't know why I was doing this. It wasn't even that funny. Strange...

A few minutes later, I was still laughing and was really struggling to breath.

"Strider- I can't stop- laughing- haha." I managed to choke out between laughs. Strider turned around and frowned at my unusual behavior. "Literally- I- can't." I added.