Chapter 10: The Prancing Pony

Y/N's POV

"FRODO!!!!!!!!" I screamed, my eyes shooting open.

"Relax, Miss Y/N. Frodo's right next to you." Sam said. I looked over to see that I had fallen asleep while leaning on Frodo. "Sorry...bad dream..." I explained as Frodo felt my face again. "You're still cold." I nodded.

"Mr. Frodo...we're here." Sam said. Everyone looked to see that our ferry was drifting up to a dock, what looked to be a town very close by.

"Come along, Y/N. We've made it to Bree. Gandalf is waiting for us at the Prancing Pony." Frodo said, helping me climb off Buckleberry Ferry.

We approached the gate to the town, rain pouring down on us. "What do you want?" the gatekeeper asked us.

"We're heading for the Prancing Pony." Frodo answered.

"Hobbits! Five hobbits! What business brings you to Bree?" he asked nosily.

"We wish to stay at the inn. Our business is our own." Frodo told him. "Alright young sir, I meant no offense. It's my job to ask question after nightfall. There's talk of strange folk abroad. Can't be too careful." the gatekeeper said, letting us in.

We walked up the road towards the Prancing Pony. "Out of the Way! Watch where you're going!" the men around shouted at us. One of them bumped into me and Pippin shot them a death glare. Frodo just pulled me away and we walked into the Prancing Pony.

"Excuse me?" Frodo said, waking up to the counter that was way too tall for him.

"Good evening, little masters! If you're seeking accommodations, we've got some nice, cozy, hobbit-sized rooms available. Mr. Uh...." the man at the counter, Butterbur, trailed off.

"...Underhill, my name's Underhill." Frodo lied.

"Underhill. Yes."

"We're friends of Gandalf the Grey. Can you tell him we've arrived?" Frodo questioned.

"Gandalf? Gandalf? Ohh yes! I remember, elderly chap, big gray beard, pointy hat." Frodo nodded. "Not seen him for 6 months."

"What do we do now?" Sam asked as Frodo turned around. Everyone got mugs of ale except me (I still didn't feel good) and sat down at a table.

"Where's Gandalf..." I asked myself in a whisper.

"Y/N...He'll be here. He'll come." Frodo tried to assure me. Merry sat down with a large mug and stared at it. "What's that?" Pippin asked, eyes wide.

"This, my friend, is a pint."

"It comes in pints?" Pippin questioned. Merry murmured in agreement. "I'm getting one." Pippin hopped up and headed for the bar. "You had a whole half already!" Sam called.

We were all silent and I just stared at the table, my eyes heavy.

Sam nudged Frodo and nodded towards the corner of the room. There was a man with a hood over his head staring at us. "That fellow's done nothin' but stare at you since we arrived." Sam said.

"Excuse me, that man in the corner, who is he?" Frodo asked, stopping Butterbur.

"He's one of them rangers. Dangerous folk they are.. wandering in the wild. What his right name is, I've never heard, but around here, he's known as Strider."

"Strider..." Frodo trailed off. I watched as he took out the Ring and started playing with it, falling into a trance again.

I watched him carefully, but we both were brought back to reality when we heard Pippin talking loudly and drunkenly. "Baggins! Sure I know a Baggins. He's over there, Frodo Baggins. He's my second cousin once removed on his mother's side and my third cousin twice removed on his father's side, if you follow me."

Frodo panicked and hopped up, running towards Pippin. "Pippin!"

"Steady on!" Pippin cheered.

I watched as Frodo slipped on the wet floor and my eyes widened as the Ring flew through the air. Frodo tried to catch it, but it accidentally slipped onto his finger.

"Frodo!" I shouted, jumping up as I saw the little Ring Bearer disappear

"Frodo!" I shouted, jumping up as I saw the little Ring Bearer disappear. I ran to the crowd that had gathered around where Frodo had been. "Frodo!"

Suddenly, I grew dizzy and the darkness was back in my mind. "Frodo..." I fell forward and landed on my stomach. I could hear gasps and whispers around me. About me or Frodo, I didn't know.

I felt someone pick me up bridal style before I blacked out.