The Power

I am SO. SORRY. For taking forever to upload. School's already sucking even tho it's only the second week and it's given me little to no time to work on this. I've been writing in a book so I just need time to put it in Docs, edit it, and put it here. So updates may be slow, and will not be daily. Anyways, enjoy the part! :D

~CardCatCardboard

(Zak POV)

It had been almost 7 years since me and Darryl had made that promise to each other, and we still held true to it. To remind us of it, we would take a picture every year on the same day, in the same park, even with the same camera which I had kept with me.

I was looking through the photos, the memory flashing in my mind, making me smile. But the smile turned down a bit as I looked into my eyes in each photo, finding the small, blue glint in them.

You would never be able to see it if you weren't looking for it, but I know it was there. I recognized it all too well. These pictures held another reminder to me. Another thing to think about whenever I looked at them.

My power.

I looked down at my right palm as a small crystal materialized in it, hovering just off my hand. I never understood what the crystal was because whenever I tried to take it and show it to someone, it would disappear like it was never there.

There was a knock at the door and the small crystal shattered and turned to invisible dust in the air.

"Come in," I called.

The door opened and Darryl walked in. He walked over to my bed and sat down on it, chin in his palms.

"Do you need something?" I asked him after a few moments of silence.

Darryl chuckled and looked over at me. "Am I no longer welcome here?" He asked playfully.

His small giggle made my face heat up a little, but I pushed it down saying, "Well you're always welcome, you just normally text me before you come."

"Eh," he replied. "I come here so often, I don't find the need to anymore."

Darryl came over to my place a lot because his parents were pretty loose and didn't care very much where he went, as long as he was alive and safe from danger. Whenever one of us didn't show up at home after school, out parents just assumed we were together, calling the other to make sure.

Despite us being so close, I had never told him about my power. I don't know why, I just had a feeling that he could be in danger if I did. And I would never forgive myself if I hurt the love of my life. I still remember the day my power had shown itself, shortly after me and Darryl had made our promise to each other.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was angry at my parents after we had an argument and wanted to lock myself in my room. But, like the way houses are designed, it didn't have an inside lock.

So I just pressed on the door, holding it closed with all my might and a tear stained face. I looked up from the ground and opened my eyes, seeing a crystalized barrier from my hands, covering the door.

I jumped back, scared by my own ability and getting more frightened that my parents were unable to break it. I went to the doorknob to try to open it, and the crystals disappeared. When I opened the door, I fell into my parents arms crying.

I was about to tell them but then remembered the entire reason for our argument.

Secrets.

I had wanted to keep a secret that was worth keeping, and the chance had just revealed itself. So instead of telling them he real reason for my crying, I just apologized perfously and said my crying was of guilt.

As within that first month, I learned how to make small crystals in my palm, or project my ability and make some from across the room. I also quickly learned how my power was affected by my emotions, so I taught myself how to keep my feelings in check and to never get too angry or mad.

As the years went by, there wasn't much else to learn other than small tricks, like sculpting or freezing things midair. I caught a bird in flight once and then broke the crystal right before it hit the ground, letting it fly away again.

That became something I enjoyed when I was bored. I did it with bugs in my room and sometimes on Rocco's tail just to mess with him when my parents weren't home.

But what's the point in being able to do all these things if I can't use it for something useful? There's no bad guys in the world the police can't take care of. Especially here in Orlando Florida, where the police are accustomed to crazy people doing crazy things.

Not like I have a suit either, so people would recognize me if I did fight a villain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was knocked out of my thoughts and memories when Darryl spoke up.

"Zak?" Darryl said, poking my shoulder to get my attention. "You okay you muffin head?"

"Yeah," I assured him. "Just lost in my thoughts. Happens to everyone, y'know?"

He agreed, opening a duffle bag I just realized he had with him on the floor.

"Staying the night for the fifth day in a row?" I asked him with a smirk.

"You know it!" He told me, getting his 'pajamas' and heading to the bathroom.

I took out his sleeping mat and unrolled it, yet leaving it uninflated because it was one where you had to use your mouth, and I don't need to put my mouth where Darryl's had been.

|Timeskip Brought to You by A6d|

I tossed Darryl two blankets from my closet and got into my bed, him on his mat. I'd tried sleeping on it once, but it was extremely uncomfortable for me. But, when you sleep on it at least four times a week for four years, I guess you get used to it.

"You awake?" I heard Darryl whisper from the floor beside me.

"Yeah," I responded softly.

We started to whisper-chat about random things for almost two hours before Darryl didn't answer me and I heard soft snores coming from his mat on the ground, signifying he had fallen asleep.

I turned on my back to face the ceiling and sighed softly, dreading the next day of school even though I've been through it multiple times this year. Yet I was also excited.

The only thought that kept school bearable was my friends. All of them. George, Clay, Nick, Jude, Jacob, Techno, Harvey, Spifey, and even the mute Mega.

Even though he called me a wall, according to Jacob.

I fell asleep smiling, thinking of the good things to come tomorrow instead of the bad.

1077 words

This will be the average length of chapter, maybe just barely scraping the 1,000 word mark.

Anyways, hope you enjoyed! :D

~CardCatCardboard