The Test

[Warning: Blood; Death; Panic Attack]

(Mathias POV)

Clay jumped around me and put his mask on, standing to face Elina and pulling his sword out, pointing the blade towards me.

"Well now that you little meet up is done, we can move on to the next step," Elina stated, walking towards me.

I leaped to my feet and stood in a defensive position, hands clenched in front of me, ready to fight if she came any closer.

"Well aren't you just cute?" she asked seconds before pinning my neck to the wall with her arm, too fast for me to react.

"Cuff him," she said to Dream, pushing me to the ground.

"Yes mother," he said, pulling me off the ground. "Sorry," he whispered in my ear as he put the cuffs around my wrists.

"Take him to the chamber," Elina told Dream. "The other three are already there."

He nodded and pulled me out of my cell, Elina following close behind.

"The other three?" I questioned to Dream.

"Quiet," he growled, shoving me harshly.

It's just an act, I told myself. No need to feel hurt.

I was led down multiple corridors and past many cells before coming to the one room where I was almost killed. I had gained PTSD from the experience, and it was kicking in now.

My breathing sped up and memories flashed through my mind. I crumbled to the ground and heard Dream exclaim something, but I didn't hear him through my panic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~3rd POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mathias fell to the ground and started hyperventilating all in a few seconds upon entering the room.

"Mathias!" Dream yelled, dropping down with him, trying to get his attention.

He wasn't paying attention and Dream could see tears falling from Mathias' face.

He's having a panic attack, Dream assumed, looking at the electrocution machine behind him. Well I can't blame him.

Dream wrapped his arms around Mathias, whispering reassurance in his ear. He dropped his forehead onto Dream's shoulder and his breathing slowed. Dream rubbed circles into his back and breathed slowly, trying to get Mathias to match his breathing.

When his breathing had become normal and he was no longer tense, Dream let go of the hug and lifted Mathias' head to look at Dream.

"You okay?" Dream asked him.

"Well yes but actually no," he responded lightly.

Dream chuckles softly, knowing humor was one of Mathias' coping mechanisms. Dream helped Mathias into a standing position before remembering where they were.

"So now that that's over," Eline stated. "Let the real drama begin."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Dream POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She pulled Mathias away from me and pushed him to the ground, Darryl, Zak, and Vincent like ducks in a row to his right.

"What are you-" I tried asking before being cut off.

"Clay, dear," Eline began. "I'm starting to question your loyalty."

"Why would you-"

"Let's review," Elina began. "You treat our prisoners like friends. You give the most rule- breaking 'hello' to your dear friend Mathias. You're too soft. Don't think I didn't see you walking slowly to accommodate for crystal- rat when we first got him. And don't think I don't see right through your harsh acts when I'm around."

She's onto me, I thought in a panic.

"What can I do to prove my loyalty?" I asked without thinking, soon to be regretted.

"Ooh, I was hoping you'd say that!" Elina laughed.

"I want you to kill one of these three ducks, or Mathias gets it," she said with a smirk, a loaded gun pointed and Mathias' head.

"But- But- aren't all three important?" I tried to reason.

Yes," Elina answered. "For this."

"I will not stand for this tyranny!" Darryl yelled, getting up to his knees.

"Then you can sit down for it," Elina growled, rolling her eyes, the guard pushing Darryl back to the ground.

The three looked at me in panic, reflecting my feelings in their faces.

"Need I count down?" Eline asked impatiently, her grip on the gun becoming tighter.

"I- I uh..." I stuttered.

"10," she started.

What do I do? I thought, trying to reach out to Darryl.

"9," she continued.

It doesn't really matter, Darryl mentally responded.

"8."

We'll understand.

"7."

My eyes flicked between the three in panic.

"6."

My breathing quickened.

"5."

Bad help! I shouted to his mind.

"4."

I can't help you Dream, he responded softly.

"3."

I looked over to Darryl-

"2."

-and heard a gunshot from Elina's hand.

"1."

My eyes flicked over to Mathias to see his eyes wide and blood running down his face. Looking longer, I could see the hole in his forehead from where the bullet went through..

His body fell to the ground face- first as tears filled my eyes under my mask, glad nobody could see them.

"Mathias..." I whispered, running over to his fallen body, and falling to my knees, not caring about the blood on my suit.

757 words

Sorry it's been awhile! I've had a lot of schoolwork, but I really hope to be able to finish the story this week because I have a Thanksgiving Break ;>

I'm not very good at writing angst so, y'know, I tried :/

Constructive Criticism Here!

~CardCatCardboard