Selfe

1. An issue that Selfe discusses in her article is the the issue that the lines between technology and literacy are becoming more and more blurred. In one quote, Selfe says "Preference for the non-technological still characterizes our community" (Self 3). This means that while the lines are becoming blurred, we still hold a desire for a non-tech literacy. A good old fashioned book as opposed to reading something on a computer screen for example. However, Selfe continuosly concludes that regardless of this, with the further increase in technological advancements, our technology and literacty will inevitably merge. Back in olden times, the book was the height of technology. The book could be used to flip from page to page conveniently within a confined space. Before then, it was the scroll.. which started the phase of storable writing that wasn't on heavy stone. The computer and the internet is merely the next stage in evolution. It's an evolution we don't like, but according to Selfe, it is sort of an inevitable evolution.

2. "I believe composition studies faculty have a much larger and complicated obligation to fill" (Selfe 4) Is one quote by Selfe in her passage that provides her support for not ignoring the mergence of Tech and Literacey. According to this article, Selfe believes that to attempt to ignore this mergeance is a nearsighted way of thinking, not to mention dangerous. It's easy to see why. As technology progresses, more and more literature has stopped being published in book form and is being published on websites meant to be read. The New York Times keeps a certain percentage of it's articles off it's newspapers and magazines and only on it's website. It's quite a dillema that shows that one day, the only item that might be sold at Barnes and Nobles are a whole massive shelf of Kindles (A bold thought, probably not coming in the near future, but still a posibility.)