Chapter 9

Harry woke up around noon of Christmas Eve. He vaguely remembered that Draco had come in his room last night, after he had had a nightmare. Draco was not in his room now, so Harry wondered where he had gone.

Harry slid out of the satin sheets and started to get dressed. He pulled on one of the sweaters he'd bought when him and Draco went shopping, it was a Christmas one ironically, and found some shoes next to the bed.

He made his way down the stairs and found Draco using a long-lasting fire charm on some candles.

"I'm sorry about last night, Ron and Hermione say that they're actually really quite scary to wake up to, so I hope I didn't scare you too much"

"No no, it's okay, don't be sorry I know you can't help it. I can teach you Occlumency, that will help him stay out of your mind?"

Harry was painfully reminded of the last time he tried Occlumency and the events that took place with it. But he knew he needed to protect Draco from being found with him, so he was going to have to do Occlumency again.

"Yeah okay, I'm up for it now if you wish, but please don't comment on any of the memories you might see. Not all of them are nice".

"I promise I won't. Okay if you just stand there".

Draco was wondering what Harry was going on about, but nevertheless cast the spell.

"Legilimens"

Draco was rushed past thousands of memories. One really stuck out to him and so he landed into it. He watched from afar 2 adults and a younger looking Harry who looked about 6. He wasn't sure who the adults were but could work out that they were Harry's carers. Harry was screaming something so Draco walked closer to him.

"Please Uncle Vernon I didn't mean to burn the toast. It was an accident! I promise I won't do it again".

"Damn right you won't do it again".

The man who Draco now realised was Harry's uncle, slapped the boy about the head hard. There was blood dripping from his head and Harry was hysterically crying. He was chucked into a little cupboard under the stairs and the man locked the door. Harry was banging on the door begging to be let out, but all that did was anger the man even more.

Before any more of the memory could be played, Draco felt a pulling sensation and was whipped into a different memory,. He was still in the same house but this time Harry was about 9 or 10 and there was another boy with him.

"Dudley stop you're going to break it!"

"Oh shut up you retard it won't bre-"

Draco watched in horror as the boy broke whatever he was fiddling with.

"Daddy! Daddy! Harry's broken the tv!"

The man from before came stomping into the living room and roared at Harry and started hitting him again but this time, it was a lot harder than before.

"This will teach you for breaking my things boy!"

Draco was absolutely horrified. He wanted to scream at the man and tell him to stop hitting him.

The man moved from hitting to punching and Draco wasn't sure he wanted to continue watching.

Suddenly there was a crack, Draco knew the man had broken Harry's ribs and other bones.

Draco was pulled from that memory and into another.

Harry looked at least 13 now and was with that same boy again.

"Oi give me those sweets".

"No Dudley they're mine, my friends got them for me for my birthday".

"I don't give a shit, give them to me".

The boy tried to snatch the sweets from Harry's hand but Harry pushed him away from him.

"How dare you!"

The boy grabbed ahold of Harry's head and smashed it against the wall. Harry was immediately knocked out. The boy continued to punch and kick Harry even though he was unconscious. The boy snatch the sweets from Harry's hand and ran out of the room. Draco looked down at Harry and could see blood pouring out of his head.

The memories were then broken up as he realised Harry was trying to close his mind to him. He was then hurled through short memories.

Harry with Cho Chang, Sirius, Ron and Hermione there was even memories of him and Harry arguing.

There was odd memories that did not make sense but as Harry was growing stronger at shielding his mind from him, the memories became confused and short.

Draco stopped the spell when he knew Harry had successfully stopped him from entering his mind.

"Harry-". Draco began.

"Draco, I know what you saw, I also know what you're about to say. No one knows about it. Not even Ron and Hermione. I know it looks bad but you can't tell anyone. People will only start to feel bad about me and that's the last thing I would want".

Draco was still horrified at the memories he had just seen, he was angered by them.

"Dumbledore must've known! Right? You know he had to have known about it".

"Yeah, he does. He knows about it alright. I told him, a couple of years ago. I asked if I could stay with the Weasleys as I knew I was always welcome there. He said I was safe with the Dursley's. That was a downright lie. Dumbledore may be the "leader" of the light side, but he treats me like a pawn in his game and I wish he didn't".

"Well listen, you don't have to go back to that place again. If need be, we can stay here. You'll be safe. I promise". Draco still felt uneasy with the memories that he just saw, but he needed to reassure Harry that he would be fine.

Harry didn't want to talk about it anymore, he had pushed the memories away from the top of his mind and didn't particularly want to re-experience them again.

"Come on, let's go to the kitchen, we can get Kreacher to make us something Christmassy".

Harry and Draco got up and went to the kitchen and told the funny looking house elf what they wanted. Soon enough the table was filled with all kinds of food related to Christmas and the dark mood was lifted. Harry and Draco laughed at each other's jokes and were soon feeling a lot better.

Before they knew it, it was an hour before Christmas Day. They were both tipsy but not drunk. Harry was full of a burst of energy from the alcohol. He grabbed Dracos arm and pulled him up onto the couch with him. Draco somehow thought that jumping up and down on the couch and then running around the lounge like a mad man, was a good idea. Anyone who walked in would wonder what the hell they had been smoking.

It soon got boring as their random burst of energy came to an end. They collapsed onto the couch in a fit of giggles. Draco went silent and looked at Harry.

Anything that had been worrying the pair had evaporated from their minds as all that mattered now was this moment. Draco straddled Harry, grabbed his neck and kissed him.

Harry, caught off guard, took a second to process what was going on but kissed back forcefully.

The clock on the wall struck twelve as Draco said "Merry Christmas Harry".