Chapter 39 - It's not what you think!

Living on the island was boring.

No, let me change that sentence. Living inside a tent was boring, frustrating, depressing, etc...

In which Ateez found an island where they planned to fix the ship for a week, I've been staying inside the tent for these past few days, recuperating from the kraken's strike.

My loneliness built up since I was left alone in a small space. The guys were busily repairing the ship all day and night, they barely had time to visit me. Everyday I heard commotion from early morning until late at night.

Aurora, my only girl friend, was unfortunately recruited to help Yeosang and the cook by Seonghwa. He said that everyone had to work. If I weren't injured, he probably ordered me to chop wood.

Because of tiredness, Aurora came back to the tent and slept right away so we hardly talked to each other. I noticed she got thinner and her shining beauty was somewhat dimmed by visible anxiety. I tried asking her but she said she was fine.

Poor female lead. Those merciless pirates took advantage of her free labor.

I wanted to tell her about her love life prediction but decided against it as I'm afraid she'd rather swim 100 miles to flee from Ateez.

One night, I had a chance to talk with her.

"Did they hurt you? You look unwell." I struck up a conversation with Aurora when she came inside our shared tent.

"No, it's not them." She murmured.

"Hm?" I faintly heard her. The orange light from the small lamp casted shadow on her crestfallen expression.

"You don't have to worry about me." She continued, smiling while she prepared to go to sleep.

"Are you angry at me?" It wasn't my imagination that she tried to avoid me for the past several days.

"No," She paused, "Maybe I used to but not anymore."

My shoulders slouched, guilt punched me in the gut. I'm the cause of her misery. I was too absorbed in the storyline and disregard her feelings.

"I'm sorry for not helping you escape. But I promise once the pirates lift the curse at Wonderland, I'll make sure to let them send you off safely."

"Nevermind, Star. I can manage myself." Aurora smiled but it didn't reach her eyes.

She looks like she wants to speak something but stops.

The conversation ended but somehow my worry expanded.

Apart from concerns about Aurora, I also worried about Yeosang. His dark circles displayed under his eye bags and frowns made an appearance on his angelic face.

"Yeosang, I'm bored." I whine at the young surgeon while he inspects the bruise on my stomach. He would come by once a day, checking up my condition and delivering his green horror for me to consume. My bruise surprisingly recovers fast but he still prevents me from walking around.

"Your bruise isn't healed yet. You can't wander around." As if he could read my mind, he stopped the idea of going outside.

"But I wanna go swimming, sunbathing, catching fish, building sand castles." When I transmigrate to this world, I barely step foot on land. And when I have an opportunity, I end up injured. My holiday has ruined.

"Nah, if you're fully healed, you'll have to help us careening the ship and tarring the hull." He chuckles softly.

"No way." I pout, staring at him as he applies ointment on my belly. Although he has done that many times already, I am still shy around him.