Chapter 1 - Prologue

Kitagawa Daiichi

Volleyball.

The precious sport that you dedicate all your time to. It's what you obsess over, wakingup at 5:30 everyday, making sure that you aren't falling behind in your training.

Today wasn't any different. It is a Saturday morning, and you're making your way to the girl's gym for a practice game.

"Y/n-chan~!" You turn around to see two boys running at you. One has spiky black hair and dark brown eyes, he wears an annoyed expression, glaring at the one calling your name. The other, seemingly oblivious to the former's murderous glare, continues yelling as he runs towards you.

You stop walking and wait for the two to catch up.

"Y/n-chan, why didn't you wait?! I thought you agreed with Iwa-chan and I walking you to practice?" The boy huffed, crossing his arms and leaning in your face.

"Oi, Trashykawa give y/n some space." The one with the murderous glare, Iwazumi, tugs on "trashykawa's" collar, pulling him back so you're given enough room to breathe.

"Not my fault you guys are slow, if I had waited any longer I'd miss practice!" You waved them off, continuing your walk towards school. "Besides, you caught up so it doesn't matter anymore."

"It's thirty minutes before practice even starts, you could've waited like- five more minutes!"

"Oh? Did you want to spend time with me that much Tooru?" You grin mischievously, glancing back at your friend who pouts.

"I'm just saying it wouldn't have taken you that much effort to wait!" His cheeks puff up, making the teen look more like a spoiled toddler.

"Quit standing around," Iwazumi hits Oikawa on the head as he walks past him, "it's early morning, and cold."

To prove his point, a gust of wind blows past the trio, causing you to shiver.

The three of you head over to the gym, talking about how school is going.

"How's the volleyball team in your new high school?" You tilt your head to the two, curious about high school teams.

"Seijoh has a good team, we're the only first years who made it to the starting line up." Iwazumi answered, smiling as he does so.

"I expect nothing less from you guys!" You grin proudly. "I wish I was a year older so we could play together..."

Oikawa frowned. "Even if you were in high school, the clubs are still separated by gender."

You sighed, knowing that you and your childhood friends wouldn't be able to be teammates in an official match.

"How rude of you to destroy a lady's dream!" You shook your head in disappointment, looking offended.

"You have no right to call yourself a lady with the way you act." Iwazumi pointed out teasingly.

"Rude! Why are you guys even here anyways- it's just a practice game, it's not even an official match."

Oikawa shrugged, "We're just here because our practice was canceled since coach got himself a date. Got nothing else to do, might as well watch your practice game."

"Aw I know you guys love me~" You grinned, opening the gym doors.

The doors opened, revealing the large empty gymnasium.

"We'll help you get the equipment out, seeing as we're going to be the only ones here for thirty minutes." Iwazumi glares at you, "Seriously, I don't understand why you make it a point to be so early, in my opinion, you're just overworking yourself."

You hum, skipping over to the supply closet, your two friends following. "I like to say I'm dedicated to the club."

—————

About twenty minutes into your solo practice, Oikawa and Iwazumi were sitting on the benches as you served, aiming for a line shot. You were practicing your spin on the ball, making sure that your serve would be powerful and unpredictable.

It was around that time that you felt you hand sting. You winced you hit the serve, your wrist felt sprained. Your uncomfort didn't go unnoticed.

"You okay?"

You looked to the benches and saw Iwazumi staring at you, obviously concerned.

"Im good, jeez Hagime, you're such a mom." You grinned, hoping that he won't notice how you were hiding your wrist.

Iwazumi narrowed his eyes. "Yeah yeah, sure. Make sure you don't work yourself to the bone. Take a break." He scooter away from a sleeping Oikawa, making you some room in between them.

You were grateful for the chance for rest and went over to the bench, glancing at Oikawa who was laying on his side.

"What's up with Tooru?"

"He fell asleep. Don't try waking him up, he'll start whining about needing his beauty rest."

—————

Ten minutes later, another school came in for a practice game.

That practice game was the first game for your third year of junior high.

It was also your last.