Chapter 16 - Practice

Fukurodani Gym

The match between the six of you that was suppose to last to the afternoon, somehow transformed into a game that went on till after the sun set and the moon rose into the sky.

Kenma snuck to the sidelines while in the middle of practice, somehow. It seemed as if he was a master at slacking off. When Kuroo tried to drag him back in Kenma insisted that someone had to keep score of the games.

Whenever Bokuto got past Kuroo's blocks he'd start bragging about being the greatest ace.

Kuroo and Oikawa would both tease each other relentlessly, Oikawa always doing setter dumps or Kuroo trying to make Oikawa block him. Between scoring points the two would exchange words, mostly about hair styling.

Akaashi and Oikawa bonded over being the pretty setters they were- you still had no idea how they managed to do setter dumps so elegantly.

You had your own fair share of triumphs though, it was funny seeing Kuroo regard you in amazement whenever you blocked him.

The first time you did so, Akaashi had set to Kuroo perfectly, making the black-haired male smirk as he jumped up towards the ball, ready for a clean shot.

You quickly repositioned yourself in front of Kuroo, jumping above the net and reaching your arms out. Kuroo floundered a bit at your sudden appearance, thrown off and almost missing the ball, which bounced off your arms and landed on Kuroo's side of the court.

Since then Kuroo wasn't going to let down his pride, and always tried to get a spike past you, if his face of frustration wasn't so amusing you'd almost feel bad about blocking him out.

-----

Looking out the gym window, you saw the night sky. "Oops..." You say, making the other five follow your gaze. "I think we missed our train... by a few hours."

Akaashi sighs, placing a hand on his hip. "Bokuto-san, I think we probably have to clean up."

Bokuto deflates, looking up at you with tears in his eyes, "But y/n hasn't visited me in so long..."

You let out a small laugh, "I'll visit you Koutarou, it's not like I'll never see you again." You watch as Bokuto slightly nods, obviously still sad he's not in the same school as you. "Besides, Oikawa and I better get another train ticket.

You exchange numbers with the group, promising to play another game with them in the future. You walk off with Oikawa to the train station.

-----

The moon shone overhead, illuminating the night along with the lights from buildings and cars.

Other people swarmed around you and Oikawa, either coming from to going to the trains, trying to catch the last ride of the night.

The walk to the train station was mostly quiet, it's one of the few times Oikawa doesn't bother filling the walk with small talk, these 'quiet' moments are always either with Iwaizumi or you.

The silence was not at all uncomfortable, the both of you looked ahead, tired from the practice.

You decided to break the silence, not sparing a glance at Oikawa besides you, you spoke casually, not in your usual 'flirty' tone. "Hey, Tooru."

The two words make Oikawa turn to look at you, giving a hum of acknowledgement for you to continue speaking.

"Fukurōdani is a powerhouse school, Nekoma was too. It's good to make connections with them." You state the obvious, not bothering to check whatever facial expressions Oikawa might have.

"If we hold practice matches regularly, I'm sure Aoba Johsai will improve." You turn your head and grin at Oikawa. "We're going to get to nationals, I promise."

A moment of shook passes over Oikawa's features, before he smiles warmly at you, knowing you meant ever word you said. "We are." He announces,

"We're going to nationals."

A/N: lol