Chapter 7 - Little Crow

Miyagi Prefecture

You got off the train and looked around. You're glad the sun hasn't set yet, so there would still be light out. You've been in this town before, but all the really remember was that it was a small town with a park and a few shops. You recall there being a shopping district just pass the park, and go to check there first.

The breeze is chilly, you had brought a jacket, covering your school uniform. As you walk through the park, you think about volleyball.

I wonder if I'll make the starting line up...

They might use me as a pinch server, since they haven't seen my blocking yet.

I'll have to show them my skills when we get to play a practice game.

I shouldn't overwork myself or it'll end up like last time... maybe I'm thinking too much about the club?

Your thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a volleyball.

BAM

A volleyball? Is there someone playing volleyball? It sounded like the impact made when spiking a volleyball, so you look around the park.

Further down the path, on a grassy area to the side, there was a small child holding a volleyball. He looked like he was alone, you couldn't see his parents anywhere near him. The boy's bright orange hair was illuminated by the sunset.

How is he playing volleyball by himself?

You watch him, curious. You can't play volleyball with only one person. You think to yourself as you observe the boy. But sure enough, he does an overhand toss into the air. It doesn't look like he was control over the toss, the boy was definitely an amateur. But as the ball was still mid air, he repositioned himself into the spiker's position, giving himself a running start and jumped. It looked like he was flying.

The scarlet of the sunset burned in the distance, making the boy's outline glow orange. His back was turned towards you, left hand outstretched as he brought his right hand forward. It looked like he was carrying himself on a pair of wings.

Though the moment was ruined when he completely missed the toss, arm swinging at empty air.

Was he self-tossing this entire time? He was also fast enough to be able to reposition himself to spike...

You hear the boy complain, picking up the volleyball as he gets ready to toss to himself again.

I'm curious.

"Hey there!" You walk towards the boy smiling, trying not to scare him. "Whatcha doing?"

His brown eyes lit up when he saw you, "Volleyball!" he practically shouted. Still holding the ball in his arms, he runs up to you. "Can you toss to me?!"

You giggled, "You sure you wanna ask a random stranger you just met?" the kid was shorter than you and wore a white t-shirt and black shorts.

"Well Izumi left so I had to play by myself..." The kid started pouting.

"Hm, then I guess I can toss for you." You clasp your hands behind your back as you stepped into the clearing where the boy was playing before.

"Really? You will? Yay!" He bounces in excitement. "My name is Hinata Shouyo!"

"I'm l/n y/n, nice to meet you, Hinata-kun." You look around the park one more time. "Where are your parents? I doubt they'd leave a young kid like you alone."

Hinata suddenly fumed, "I'm not that young! I'm going to high school next year!" he turned his nose up, looking proud of himself.

"Eh?? You're lying."

"I'm not! How old are you them?"

"I'm a high school first year." You replied, a little smug. "So I'm basically your senpai."

Hinata huffed, blowing up his cheeks. "Well l/n-senpai, you're also short!"

You weren't short, you were actually average height for a high school girl, but since you were crossdressing, you were a little shorter than the boy's average height.

"Did you say I'm 'also' short? So you admit you're short too?" You smirk at Hinata, who was flustered, trying to think of a response.

Laughing at his reaction, you spoke up. "Okay Hinata-kun," Taking the ball in your hands you stepped to the side. "What kind of toss would you like?"

Hinata backs up, getting ready to spike. "Give me a high toss please!"

You toss the ball, letting it float in the air.

Hinata runs

And jumps

-----

Two hours after doing nothing but tosses for Hinata, you remember what you came there for.

Your aunt was sleeping on a bench when you went to go get her.

-----

Ever since that day, you've taken the train to visit the park, either once or twice a week.

Each time you came, Hinata would be there, tossing a ball to himself. When you asked why he was always at the park, he had told you that he just wanted to get better at volleyball. His goal was to go to Karasuno and become like the Tiny Giant, someone who he had saw on TV a few years ago. Sometimes you would run into some of Hinata's friends who were there with him too, which you were surprised about at first, since you didn't think he'd actually be a third year in junior high.

You'd either spend a couple of hours setting for him, Hinata would always ask for another set, his infinite stamina would amaze you, or you'd try teaching him how to receive, which he was terrible at.

The only excuse you have for visiting Hinata every week was because "he was interesting."

After a month or two, you called him "Shou-kun" while he called you "Y/n-senpai."

-----

You hummed to yourself as Hinata took a set to the face.

Instantly, he bounced back up.

"Y/n-senpai, One more time!"

This was his eleventh, "one more time!" today. Although now you were starting to get used to it.

"Okay Shou-kun, though this really is going to be the last one." You glance at the night sky, you hadn't expected it stay so late.

You set the ball towards Hinata, getting a glance at his eyes that have trained their focus on the ball. He spikes, slamming it down from the air.

You hear him cheering in the background as you smile.

He's going to be an interesting opponent to face next year.