Chapter 9 - Stranger Danger

Seijoh High School

Your first year of high school consisted of days upon days of volleyball practice. You weren't able to make many school friends like you had hoped you would, although you had a few acquaintances. The boys in class were friendly, but you could barely hold up a non-volleyball related conversation. You would talk to Yahaba and Watari, having them call you y/n because it felt more natural.

The girls in class would give you bentos and run away, blushing. It was nice at least, free food. Hanamaki had told you he spotted a fan club dedicated to you, although they acted more as a group of stalkers.

When you hung out in the club room, you either would witness Kyoutani challenging Iwaizumi to arm wrestle, which lead to Yahaba scolding Kyoutani for being rude to his senpai, or you would see Mattsun and Makki stirring up some trouble and teasing Oikawa, who would run to you saying that Mattsun and Makki were bullying him. Normally you would just hide in the corner with Watari, who would be peacefully watching the scene unfold.

-----

Oikawa
Y/n-channnnn
Save meeee

You
What did you do?

Oikawa
Why do you think I did something?!
Makki and Mattsun are mean!
They're bullying me~

You
Go bother Hajime (・∀・)

Oikawa
But I need y/n-chan to save me!
And if you come I can see your beautiful face more~
Read

Y/n-chan?
Read

You put down your phone, turning on your computer and deciding to ignore Oikawa and let him sulk. You were going to play (favorite game), since it was a Friday and you had finished your studies.

In a month, prelims were being held to determine which team in Miyagi was going to represent the prefecture at nationals. Shiratorizawa has beaten Seijoh before. The last Inter-high prelims resulted in a lost for Seijoh. But this tournament will be the last one the current third years are going to play in, so the team is determined to make it to nationals.

After logging into the game, you get another notification. You glance at your phone screen, expecting to see Oikawa spamming you with emoticons. Instead, it was a picture sent by a random number. The picture sent was a practice schedule, though a bit harsh with morning practice time. Thinking that it was one of your teammates, you responded.

Unknown
(Sent picture)

You
What's that?

Unknown
the new practice schedule

You
There's a new schedule?
Coach didn't tell me (T_T)

Unknown
i said that i'd send it to u though

You
I don't remember :(
Who is this anyways?

Unknown
you don't have me saved?
it's kenma

You
Huh

Unknown
do you have amnesia kuro

You
Sorry I think you've got the wrong
number
I'm l/n y/n

Unknown
oh sorry

You
Woah your schedule is harsh
Who wakes up that early??

Unknown
exactly what i said

You
You play sports too? I play volleyball!

Unknown
same here i'm a setter

You
I'm a middle blocker! I play on the boy's
team at Aoba Johsai

Unknown
Did you just reveal the school you
attend to a random number?

You
Well the picture u sent had ur school
name on it so we're even

Unknown
are you trying to stalk me?

You
I'm not a creep I promise! But
Nekoma? Never heard of that team
before

Unknown
i've heard about aoba johsai
aren't you guys a powerhouse school
in miyagi?

You
Yup! We're definitely gonna make it
to nationals this year!

Unknown
you sound confident

You
Who knows
We might see each other at nationals

Unknown
you don't even know what i look like

You
Don't underestimate the power of
fan websites

Unknown
and you said you weren't going to stalk me

The two of you continue to talk for awhile, mostly about volleyball. The texts about volleyball morph into video games, and he send his gamer tag and you two play together. You call him Kenma while he calls you y/n, since he told you he didn't care for honorifics.

-----

On the weekends you would spend your time staying up all night and playing games with Kenma. Or you would help your teammates with studying.

The boys volleyball team got more and more tense as the month passed, practice piling up to defeat Shiratorizawa.

When the prefectural spring tournament came around, Seijoh won match after match, rallies of spiking, blocking and receives. You can't recall the early games, everyone was just focused on playing. It didn't take long before finals came.

A/N: Sorry if anyone is OOC, I just wanted to add Kenma in :)