A Not-So Perfect Plan

The next day Dani woke up feeling very excited.

She got dressed, did her hair, put on her cap, and grabbed all the things she needed, when suddenly heard a ring at the door and immediately rushed out of her room to open it.

Dani wasn't surprised by who was standing there. Benny always came to her door every morning to walk her to school or the sandlot.

She was greeted with a "hey" and to which she returned and they are off.

As they were walking they stopped at the new kids house and saw him sitting on the steps of his porch with a destroyed baseball glove. Dani looked at Benny then looked back at the kid as she went up to him and said. "Hey, um we're gonna go play some ball and we could use and extra player. You wanna go?"

The new kid looked up at her with a black eye and a sad look. "No. Thanks."

Dani looked at him confused. "Well, why not? Don't you like baseball?"

The kid looked stumped as he answered. "Oh, yeah but, um..."

Benny looked at him a little annoyed and confused. "But what?"

The kid stood up. "But my glove, it's busted. Uh, see? So you know I can't go. Thanks though."

Dani smirked. "It's okay. I have an extra one."

She pulled an extra glove out of her back pocket and tossed it to him. The kid caught it and looked up at her.

Dani smiled as Benny said. "Come on, let's go."

With that, the new kid opened his front door and yelled. "Mom, I'm gonna go play some ball. I'll be back in a little while."

He shut the door and started walking towards Dani and Benny.

Dani motions for him to follow them. "Come on, let's go."

The new kid started followed them as they ran to the Vincent Drug Store, where they found Ham doing a really bad impression Dani's father and all the boys sitting down on either boxes or crates.

Ham had his back to Dani, Benny and Smalls as he said. "I'm the Great Bambino."

He had a roll of gum in his mouth making it muffled as all the guys asked what he said.

Ham just sighed and said it again. "I'm the Great Bambino."

It was still muffled and all the guys were still confused as to what he said.

Dani sighed as she jumped in and said. "He said, he's the Great Bambino."

Ham took out the roll of gum and nodded as all the boys finally knew who he was talking about.

However, the new kid Scotty Smalls didn't. "Whose that?"

Dani just looks down embarrassed and could see Benny doing the same.

Ham turned to look at the three as all the boys stood up and looked at the new kid like he was an alien.

Dani stood with a hand on her face as Ham asked. "What?"

The three still stood there more embarrassed then ever as Ham asked further. "What did he say?"

Bertram asked. "What, were you born in a barn, man?"

Yeah- Yeah nods. "Yeah, yeah, what planet are you from?"

They stood there with shocked faces as Scotty still didn't answer. Squints, chewing his bazooka gum as he asked. "You've never heard of the Sultan of Swat?"

DeNunez asks. "The Titan of Terror?"

Timmy shakes his head. "The Colossus of Clout?"

Tommy repeats. "The Colossus of Clout."