An Omen

A few days later, the sandlot crew all went to the Vincent Drug Store and bought a new ball. They came loud and noisy, excited to play baseball.

They make to the sandlot and get into their regular positions ready to play. Dani walks up to home base and gets ready, going through her regular routine. She taps her shoes then home base and starts taking practice swings as DeNunez steps up to the pitchers mound.

Dani swings her bag a few more times before she is finally ready nodding to DeNunez for him to pitch the ball. He nods back and pitches the ball.

Suddenly, everything felt as if it was in slow motion.

Dani watched as the ball was thrown towards her and got close. She took a deep breath in before swinging her bat and hitting the ball as this unfamiliar feeling washed over her.

Everyone watched as the once intact ball flew through air in two pieces amazed by what they were seeing.

Dani looked at the ball wider eyes along with everyone else as they ran towards and huddled around it.

The 10 kids all look down at the now destroyed baseball as they look at it in shock. "I don't believe it."

Bertram nods. "Bitchin'."

Dani shakes her head. "No, it isn't."

Squints disagrees. "Come on, Dani, man. Maybe two or three guys in history ever busted the guts out of a ball. Must be an omen."

Dani sighs. "All this means that we can't play anymore. I mean, it's only 12:00, and I just ruined the whole day for us. Again."

She looks down feeling bad, but DeNunez shakes his head. "No, you didn't. That's the most amazing thing I ever saw. Besides you."

Dani slightly blushes, but Benny just huffs as he gets jealous and rolls his eyes. "Anybody got any money?"

Everyone shakes their heads. "No."

Dani sighs again. "Then it isn't okay, because now we can't play anymore."

Smalls disagrees. "Yeah, we can."

Benny asks. "What, you got 98 extra cents lying around at home, Smalls?"

He shakes his head as he answers. "No, but I got a ball."

Everyone hits and yells at him as they think the same thing. "Go get it!"

The sandlot just wait at the sandlot as Smalls gets "his" ball from home.

As they all sit around, Dani looks down at her hands feeling bad and Benny notices. He sits next to her and puts his hand on hers trying to cheer her up, and it works.

Dani looks up at him with a grateful smile and gives him a peck as Smalls runs into the sandlot running. "I got it, guys! I got it! I got the balls, guys! I got it! Right here, guys! I got the ball! I got it."

He runs up to Dani and gives her the ball. "Here, Dani. I got it."

Ham pats his back as Dani nods with a smile. "Bitchin'. Your ball, you're up. Here you go."

She hands Smalls the bat and walks over to the pitchers mound as Smalls walks up to the batting box, Benny taking his place in the outfield.

Ham holds his masks up as he yells. "Batter up!"

He puts his mask as Smalls stands in the batting box, Dani pitching a ball to him, Smalls striking.

Everyone taunts and yells at Smalls as Dani gets ready to pitch again. Smalls gives her the nod to pitch and Dani nods back.