15 | One by One

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Word Count: 3115

Year 847

The wind howled through the woods as it carried the white snowflakes, its icy touch making the unfortunate people outside shudder from the coldness. The snow on the ground made a disgusting scrunching sound as a few officers from the Military Police Brigade walked on it, looking out to the field and the people working in it.

"Hey..." one of them, clearly from a higher ranking, spoke up, "This land should've been cultivated long before winter set in."

"Y-Yes, sir, but most of our laborers were rounded up for last year's recovery mission," the man behind him quickly replied.

The officer nodded, "I realise that, but you need to do something about it. It's your duty to meet your production projections."

"M-My apologies, sir!"

"At this rate, we'll all starve to death," he muttered, continuing his walk.

Back at the field, and older man moved the hood on his cloak to get a look at the soldiers, his wife next to him doing the same. She soon resumed to work as his husband stayed still for a moment, narrowing his eyes.

"The Military Police Brigade's never even seen a titan, but look at how they puff put their chests," he muttered, "What more can they ask the elderly and the children to do...?"

He glanced at the four children next to him, clearing his throat to get their attention, "You kids... You do your military training this year, don't you?"

(Y/N) lifted her gaze from the ground to meet up with the old man's just as Eren and Mikasa did the same.

He then continued, jerking his head towards the three soldiers further away, "Make sure you never become a soldier like that."

Armin had suddenly stopped moving and stood up, gaining his three friends' attention by the action. Eren tried to pull him back down by his sleeve, but the blond didn't move an inch.

"Armin... What's wrong?"

""Recovery mission"... The liars, " Armin growled, gritting his teeth, "My parents were murdered so that there would be fewer mouths to feed. And now... Look."

The four stared at the green unicorns on the back of the officers' jackets as they slowly walked away.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

(Y/N) had to admit, the man who introduced himself as Keith Shadis was intimidating as heck. He was extremely tall, bald, with dark bags under his eyes, and the fact that he was over 190cm didn't make it any better. He was walking through the rows of new people from the Cadet Corps, but when he had walked past her, however, he didn't even take a glance at her. It was a relief, and a couple more were blessed with the gift of not having to face him.

Armin however wasn't safe from his wrath.

"Hey. Maggot," Keith grumbled, eyeing the blond. Armin quickly saluted and replied to him, "Sir!"