21 | Crossroads

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Word Count: 2935

The sun was visible on the baby blue sky as a gentle breeze pushed through the landscape, bringing some coolness into the otherwise relatively warm late afternoon. (Y/N) relaxed her body as she leaned against the brick wall, her face turning towards the sky.

"I guess they didn't find anyone who used their vertical maneuvering gear without authorization..." she pondered, her eyes traveling through the clouds. "Who could pull a stunt like that?"

"I wonder," Armin replied, holding his chin in thought. Confused by the silence of her other friends, (Y/N) lowered her head back to have a look to her left at Sasha, who stared into oblivion. Connie was sitting on the ground, his knees propped up against his chest as he laid his arms on his knees.

Alarmed by the footsteps approaching the group, her eyes darted to the forthcoming male. Sasha noticed him too, shifting in her place as she quickly opened her mouth to ask a question, "Jean... What made you suddenly decide to join the Survey Corps?"

(Y/N) inhaled sharply, her eyebrows rising at the revelation. 'What...?!'

"You're joining the Survey Corps?" she quickly inquired, taking a step towards Jean. The light-brown haired boy glanced at her. "I mean... I thought you were scared..."

"What? Of course I don't like it. The Corps, I mean," he asserted quickly. Connie looked up at him in confusion, "Hm? Then why are you..."

"I may've chosen the Survey Corps, but not 'cause I'm not scared of the titans. And I'm not going to say stuff like "skilled soldiers have a duty to join the Survey Corps," Jean muttered, turning his face away. His expression was one of melancholy as the thought for a moment, before turning back to face the others as he scratched the back of his neck. "Listen, seriously... I'm not in a hurry to die like Eren. Don't lump me in with him."

"Trainees, fall in! Face the stage!" one of the officers guarding the area suddenly yelled, alerting the cadets that the introduction ceremony to the Survey Corps was close to beginning.

"And... Nobody convinced me to put my life on the line..." Jean added, "This isn't the kind of job you can do without choosing it yourself."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The sun had finally set, leaving the now darkened sky behind, yet it was too early for stars to appear. Every single cadet from the 104th Cadet Corps were a part of a neatly formed crowd, standing in a specific order of rows. In front of the crowd was a stage, and on that stage was standing a man.

"I am Survey Corps Commander Erwin Smith," the blond began his speech, "The King has granted me authority over all Survey Corps activity. Today, you choose which division to join. The reason I'm up here is to invite you to become a part of the Survey Corps.

"But I should warn you. In the recent titan attack, everyone here experienced what the average excursion outside is like. I'm sure nothing else in your lives came close to it. As a result, I'm sure you came to know your own limits, and the terror of the titans. Nevertheless... While it's true we suffered heavy losses in this attack, the human race has advanced towards victory like never before.

"By now, everyone is aware of the existence of Eren Yeager. Through his actions and all of yours, the titan incursion was halted, and we have obtained a path to understanding the true nature of the titans. I'm not at liberty to tell you much here regarding Eren, but believe me, he's proven himself as an ally who's willing to lay his life on the line. And we also know that in the basement of his old house in Shiganshina District, there are answers about the titans that even he doesn't have."