32 | Mercy

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Word Count: 1826

Before Annie's teeth could even graze her fingers, Armin thrust his arm up and pulled the trigger on the flare gun in his hands. An ear-piercing bang erupted from the metallic barrel, and under the fraction of a second, Annie had been surrounded by numerous men from all directions. They bounced onto the startled female, grabbing her by the arms and legs to restrain her. A thick cloth was placed between her jaws to prevent her from biting down on anything or hurting herself in any other way.

(Y/N) stared at her struggling form from the bottom of the underground tunnel's stairwell, surrounded by the other three who were just as alert. Her eyes were quick to notice the glint of a silver ring on the blonde's right hand that revealed a sharp blade as Annie flicked it out using her thumb. A short gasp left her mouth as her eyes widened.

Mikasa sensed the upcoming danger. She pulled (Y/N) back by her cape as she hopped down the stairs. The ravenette glanced over her shoulder to the head of the stairs as she dragged Armin and Eren with them. Her eyes narrowed as she watched Annie draw blood from her finger.

"She's one step... Ahead of us!"

A loud boom, and before they knew it, the quartet laid at the bottom of the stairs. The ground rumbled as a bright light lit up the entirety of Stohess District, provoking confusion among the citizens who just had been carrying out their daily routines. (Y/N) slowly sat up on the cold pavement, wincing at the loud ringing in her ears. As the smoke slowly cleared out, she got a clear view of the shocking scene before her.

The stairwell was covered with crimson liquid entirely from the ground to the roof. It had splattered in a line on the stone walls and wooden doorframe, pointing towards the far corner in which resided the remains of those who had been with Annie before her transformation. She could only gasp for air as she stared at the wrecked bodies, a terrified whine leaving her mouth. A petrified look took over Armin's face as his gaze flickered between the severed body parts scattered across the ground, "Oh no..."

"Are you hurt?!" Mikasa yelled over the loud rumbling, quick to stand up herself, "If you can stand, run!"

(Y/N) quickly scrambled onto her feet, pulling the bewildered Eren after her as a giant hand pushed through the narrow entrance and down the stairs towards the four. The quartet ran away from the stairwell, glancing back at Annie's hand that eventually retreated once they were far enough.

"Did she bite her tongue?" Armin asked, throwing his cape away as they rushed through the tunnel, "How did she injure herself?"

"There... Was a blade in her ring," (Y/N) replied, "She used it to cut her finger... I saw it."

The blond grit his teeth, "So it was that simple...? Damn it... I knew it... She could tell I was lying from the beginning... And it was obvious that we were going to ambush her with this underground passage! There must have been some other way."

"Think about it later," Mikasa interjected, "Now tell me... What do we do... From here...?"

"From now... Join up with Team 3 and get above ground," Armin began, "After that, we follow plan B... Fight Ann- The Female Titan!" He looked over at Eren, "Eren, you transform into a titan, like we planned, and help us capture her... Okay?"