34 | Soldiers Dance

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Word Count: 3259

Eren's eyes slowly fluttered open, his ears picking up a strange sound similar to the hissing of an animal, and the loud shouts of people around him. He looked down at his steaming body that was currently being dragged by someone, feeling a warmth behind him. He carefully turned his head around, finding himself looking at Armin's sweaty features. The brunet's dry lips parted slightly, whispering his name.

"Armin... Annie... What... Happened?" he asked, watching intently as surprise took over the blond's face.

"Eren..." Armin gasped, setting him down to the ground and taking a moment to catch his breath. He let the weary brunet rest against him, his brows furrowing into a frown as his eyes moved from the boy to the scene before them, "I doubt anyone knows yet..."

Eren turned his head around, taking in whatever his tired eyes could at the moment see.

The air was hazy from all the vapor the titan he had just been dragged out of emitted. It was only a giant skeleton at this point, disappearing into thin air just like it had been born. In the distance was a large crowd gathered around what looked like only a giant rock to him. In reality, it was the crystal Annie had locked herself in.

"Where's... Where's (Y/N)?" he asked just as Armin started dragging him again. Something about his last encounter with the girl made him feel uneasy. The blond suddenly stopped moving, his grip around Eren's torso loosening a little as he thought about his question.

"I'm not sure..." he frowned after a few seconds, "I haven't seen her after..."

The two's attention was suddenly caught by a sudden yell from the distance. It was a panicked yell, a scream for help that was accompanied by the sound of someone running as it got closer. Eren could feel Armin shift behind him as the blond turned his head around, intrigued by how familiar the voice sounded. Behind the buildings further away, he could see Jean running towards them.

As the light-brown haired male got closer, he noticed the frightened look on his face. Jean looked like he had just seen a ghost, running past the two and towards the soldiers gathered around Annie. Armin rose his eyebrow in confusion, 'Huh...? Wasn't Jean supposed to be dressed up as Eren in the carriage guarded by the MPs? Or did he already come back...?' Listening closely, the blond finally made out what he was yelling.

"Hey! We need a medic! We really need a medic! There's big trouble!"

A couple soldiers previously busy with Annie finally noticed him, and began running with him back to where he came from. Jean quickly stopped by Armin and Eren, his voice cracking as he hurriedly told them,

"It's (Y/N)!"

Armin's face dropped as Jean then ran up to the seniors and lead them to where the girl was. Mikasa, who had just come down from the Wall, quickly drew back her grabbles, staring at them with a pale face before running after the group. Armin gulped, his gaze lingering on the direction they went to, before moving to Eren who had already fallen back to unconsciousness.

"Oh no..."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

A soldier brought his ultra hard steel blade down on Annie's crystal's surface, watching as it shattered down to the stump. "Damn it! Not even a scratch!" he groaned, "What the hell is this...? What's going on...?" He glared at Annie's peaceful form inside of the crystal, gritting is teeth as he kept hitting the crystal with his blade, desperately scratching and carving the indestructible material.