Deep Conversations

(Carson POV)

We all look at Allison as she continues. "I'll do anything sexual, I don't need a million dollars to do it either..." Allison says and even though I had no clue what she was talking about I 'listened.' "You're lying..." Claire says. "I already have...I've done just about everything there is except a few things that are illegal...I'm a nymphomaniac!" Allison says and I turn to John. "What's a nymphomaniac?" I ask and he shakes his head. "Nothing you should worry your little mind on." "Lie..." Claire says. "Are your parents aware of this?" Claire asks and Allison shrugs. "The only person I told was my shrink..." Allison says and Andrew joins the conversation. "And what'd he do when you told him?" Andrew asks. "He nailed me..." Allison says. "Very nice..." Claire says with a hint of disgust. "I don't think that from a legal standpoint what he did can be construed as rape since I paid him." Allison says and everyone's eyes widen. "He's an adult!" Claire shouts. "Yeah...he's married too!" Allison says and tilt my head to the side. "Do you have any idea how completely gross that is?" Claire questions. "Well, the first few times..." Allison says but is cut off by Claire. "First few times? You mean he did it more than once?" Claire says in utter shock."

"Sure..." Allison says and I shake my head.  "Are you crazy?" Claire questions and Brian butts in. "Obviously she's crazy if she's screwing her shrink..." Brian exclaims and Allison smirks while turning to Claire. "Have you ever done it?" Allison asks and Claire rolls her eyes. "I don't even have a psychiatrist..." Claire says and Allison looks at her. "Have you ever done it with a normal person?" Allison questions and I can tell Claire is getting pissed. "Now, didn't we already cover this?" Claire questions. "You never answered the question..." Johnny says from above me. "Look, I'm not gonna discuss my private life with total strangers." Claire says. "It's kind of a double-edged sword, isn't it?" Allison says and everyone becomes confused. "A what?" Claire questions. "Well, if you say you haven't... you're a prude. If you say you have...you're a slut! It's a trap. You want to but you can't but when you do you wish you didn't, right?" Allison elaborates and everyone nods but me who was still confused. 

"Wrong..." Claire says and I decide to stand up knowing it was going to be another fight. I start walking around the library and I sit in a small corner and I grab the book next to me...The Great Gatsby. I started reading it and after a few moments I heard the sound of Andrew shouting and I started walking back, book in hand. "I think your old man and my old man should get together and go bowling." Johnny says and I walk over and sit next to Johnny. "It's like me, you know, with my grades...like, when I, when I step outside myself kinda, and when I, when I look in at myself you know? And I see me and I don't like what I see, I really don't." Brian says and I look at him. "What's wrong with you? Why don't you like yourself?" I question and everyone notices my presence. "'Cause I'm stupid...'cause I'm failing shop. See we had this assignment, to make this ceramic elephant, and um...and we had eight weeks to do it and we're s'posed ta, and it was like a lamp, and when you pull the trunk the light was s'posed to go on...my light didn't go on, I got a F on it. Never got a F in my life... When I signed up, you know, for the course I mean. I thought I was playing it real smart, you know. 'Cause I thought, I'll take shop, it'll be such an easy way to maintain my grade point average..." Brian starts but is cut off by Johnny. 

"Why'd you think it'd be easy?" Johnny questions. "Have you seen some of the dopes that take shop?" Brian questions. "I take shop...you must be a fuckin' idiot!" Johnny exclaims and my eyes widen. "I'm a fuckin' idiot because I can't make a lamp?" Brian questions. "No, you're a genius because you can't make a lamp..." Johnny says. "What do you know about Trigonometry?" Brian questions and Johnny glares at him. "I could care less about Trigonometry..." Johnny says. "Bender, did you know without Trigonometry there'd be no engineering?" Brian says but Johnny snaps back. "Without lamps, there'd be no light!" Johnny exclaims. "Okay so neither one of you is any better than the other one..." Claire says. "I can write with my toes! I can also eat, brush my teeth..." Allison is cut off by Claire. "With your feet?" She questions but Allison continues. "...play Heart & Soul on the piano." She continues and I smile. "I can make spaghetti!" Brian exclaims. "What can you do?" Claire questions Andrew. "I can...uh...tape all your buns together..." Andrew says and he motions for me to go. "I can uh draw pretty well." I say. 

"I wanna see what Claire can do!" Johnny says. "I can't do anything." Claire says. "Now, everybody can do something..." Johnny trails off. "There's one thing I can do, no forget it, it's way too embarrassing." Claire says and I prepare to get up and walk away. "You ever seen Wild Kingdom? I mean that guy's been doing that show for thirty years." Johnny says. "Okay, but you have to swear to God you won't laugh...I can't believe I'm actually doing this..." Claire says as she grabs her lipstick and places it in her shirt and she brings her head down and when she comes back up a fresh coat of lipstick is on her lips. My eyes widen in shock and we all start clapping, but Johnny starts clapping slow and sarcastic. "All right, great! Where'd you learn to do that?" Andrew questions. "Camp, seventh grade..." Claire says. "That was great, Claire...my image of you is totally blown..." Johnny says. "You're a shit! Don't do that to her you swore to God you wouldn't laugh!" Allison says. "Am I laughing?" Johnny questions. "You fucking prick!" Andrew shouts. "What do you care what I think, anyway? I don't even count, right? I could disappear forever and it wouldn't make any difference...I may as well not even exist at this school, remember?" Johnny says and he turns to Claire. "And you...don't like me anyway!" Johnny exclaims. "You know, I have just as many feelings as you do and it hurts just as much when somebody steps all over them!" Claire exclaims.

God, you're so pathetic! Don't you ever...ever! Compare yourself to me! Okay? You got everything, and I got shit! Fuckin' Rapunzel, right? School would probably fucking shut down if you didn't show up! "Queenie isn't here!" I like those earrings Claire." Johnny says. "Shut up..." I heard Claire say. "Are those real diamonds, Claire?" Johnny questions. "Shut up!" Claire exclaims. "I bet they are...did you work for the money for those earrings?" Johnny questions and I look and see Claire's face contort into anger. "Shut your mouth!" Claire exclaims. "Or did your daddy buy those?" Johnny questions. "Shut up!" Claire exclaims as she starts crying. "I bet he bought those for you! I bet those are a Christmas gift! Right? You know what I got for Christmas this year? It was a banner fuckin' year at the old Bender family! I got a carton of cigarettes. The old man grabbed me and said "Hey! Smoke up Johnny!" But poor little Carson couldn't get a break from my folks raggin' on her. Okay, so go home'n cry to your daddy, don't cry here, okay?" Johnny questions and everything goes silent. "My God, are we gonna be like our parents?" Andrew questions.

"Not me...ever..." Claire says. "It's unavoidable, it just happens." Allison says. "What happens?" Claire questions. "When you grow up, your heart dies." Allison says. "Who cares?" Johnny questions. "I care." Allison says. "Me too." I say while looking down.  "Um, I was just thinking, I mean. I know it's kind of a weird time, but I was just wondering, um, what is gonna happen to us on Monday? When we're all together again? I mean I consider you guys my friends, I'm not wrong, am I?" Brian questions. "No..." Andrew says and I smile slightly. "So, so on Monday...what happens?" Brian questions. "Are we still friends, you mean? If we're friends now, that is?" Claire questions. "Yeah..." Brian says. "Do you want the truth?" Claire questions. "Yeah, I want the truth..." Brian says. "I don't think so..." Claire says and my eyes widen in shock. "Well, do you mean all of us or just John?" Allison questions. "With all of you..." Claire says. "That's a real nice attitude, Claire!" Andrew says. "Oh, be honest, Andy...if Brian came walking up to you in the hall on Monday, what would you do? I mean picture this, you're there with all the sports. I know exactly what you'd do, you'd say hi to him and when he left you'd cut him all up so your friends wouldn't think you really liked him!" Claire says. "No way!" Andrew exclaims. "'Kay, what if I came up to you?" Allison questions. "Same exact thing!" Claire says. "You are a bitch!" Johnny exclaims and I jump slightly. "Why? 'Cause I'm telling the truth, that makes me a bitch?" Claire questions. "No! 'Cause you know how shitty that is to do to someone! And you don't got the balls to stand up to your friends and tell 'em that you're gonna like who you wanna like!" Johnny exclaims. "Okay, what about you, you hypocrite! Why don't you take Allison to one of your heavy metal vomit parties? Or take Brian out to the parking lot at lunch to get high? What about Andy for that matter, what about me? What would your friends say if we were walking down the hall together. They'd laugh their asses off and you'd probably tell them you were doing it with me so they'd forgive you for being seen with me." Claire says. "Don't you ever talk about my friends! You don't know any of my friends, you don't look at any of my friends and you certainly wouldn't condescend to speak to any of my friends so you just stick to the things you know, shopping, nail polish, your father's BMW and your poor--rich--drunk mother in the Caribbean" Johnny says and Claire is sobbing yet again. "Shut up!" She exclaims through tears. "And as far as being concerned about what's gonna happen when you and I walk down the hallways at school, you can forget it! 'Cause it's never gonna happen! Just bury your head in the sand...and wait for your fuckin' prom!" Johnny says. "I hate you!" Claire exclaims. "Yeah? Good!" Johnny says and there was silence.