Memories

"Go and fetch water from the Yamuna, child! And don't end up playing with your sakhis

"Go and fetch water from the Yamuna, child! And don't end up playing with your sakhis. You can play once you bring me water!"
I heard Ma say as I stepped out of the house with two pots,
One balanced on my head while the other on my waist.

My sakhis called out to come and join them in their game.
I told them I would come later.
The evening was yet to come, so I would still have time to come back and play.

I finally reached the beautiful Yamuna.
Kneeling down I brought the pot on my head down, gently cleaning the inside.
I filled the pot and placed it to my side and then filled the second one when I felt your presence.

"So what is my pretty gopi doing all alone?"
My heart fluttered as soon as I heard your honey like voice.
Turning around I answered,
"Filling water in the pots, Kanha. What are you doing here?"

You tucked your flute inside your waistband and with your beautiful smile answered,
"You were alone here so I thought to keep you company. Besides, a pretty gopi like you shouldn't be left alone."

Sweet charmer! Manmohana!
As you began speaking I just looked at your beauty.
Your curly locks adorned with a peacock feather, your lovely lotus like eyes sparkling as you talked about how you pranked your sakha.
I looked at your lips which play such a melodious tune and speak beautiful, yet confusing words.

We laughed together on your mischief and I blushed when you started flirting. Do you realize what you do to my heart?
You steal my butter and my heart and
my sleep has long gone as I spend the night chanting your name.

I felt my pot break, immediately making me turn around.
I was completely drenched from head to toe.
"Kanha you prankster! I am-"

Turning around to scold you, I only found an empty path.
There was no laughter nor could I hear your sweet voice.
The forest which once felt safe and comforting with your presence is now
Eerie.

Did I spend my entire evening thinking about you?
Was I really talking to you?

And now I realize, the heartbreaking realization-- It's been a year since you have left this village.

And with that I swiftly walked back home.

But who broke my pot, Kanha?

***

*awkward silence*

*awkward silence*

Did I attack your feels? If yes then I am sorry for that but this also made me sad.

And guess what, I got this idea while doing Maths.