Heart Misses a Beat

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has opened for us. - Hellen Keller

Son Yejin POV

On the plane to Busan. I sit between the two. Mr. Gong on my left leaning on the window, sleeping, and Ju Jihoon on my right. I decide to wear the ring Bin gave me, just a moment before boarding on. Bin doesn't know that, but Jihoon has to know that.

"How are you, Yejin?" Jihoon starts a conversation.

"Great! How's married life?"

"I'm hanging there. I see that you're about to give it a try too."

"Meaning?"

"Get married," he points at my finger.

"I'm considering it." alright, what is wrong with me? why can't I just say yes?

"Still with the same guy? Does he treat you well?"

"He is awesome!"

"Just remember, when he messes up with you, you know who to call."

"Yeah, my girls."

"I mean, me."

"Please," I mutter, "Excuse me, I need the lavatory," I stand up and carefully step out to the aisle.

It's just an excuse. All I do is just taking a deep breath and....reapplying my lipstick. Seriously, who to impress. Yejin? Jihoon?

No. It's for...Mr. Gong? No, I don't need lipstick for a raise.

I hear the door is knocked and an announcement to go back to our seat because of turbulence. Shit. I tidy my skirt and top, then I open the door. A cabin crew smiles and asks me to go back to my seat.

The next day, right after the endless trials in the court, I feel so exhausted, weary, and miss my boyfriend so much. The attorneys work on a robbery case that twists with divorce assets settlement. Every time they have a crossing case that involves family affairs and criminal violence, these two will work together. I enjoy watching the two work together professionally, but not outside the court like now. We're having dinner together with the client in a local fancy restaurant. I thought that I don't have to join them, but now I'm here eating dishes that I can't pronounce the names that Mr. Gong has chosen for me.

Our client is a businesswoman from Seoul and has been very nice to us. When Mr. Gong is away from the restroom, she tries to make a conversation with me.

"You two look cute together," she grins at me.

"I'm sorry, Ma'am, what did you just say?"

"You two, look cute together," she repeats.

I glance at Jihoon who looks awkward at first, but then he puts a smug smile on his face.

"Thank you, Ma'am," he replies. Damn it. "Actually we are-"

"Not you. Mr. Gong and you, dear." she chuckles to Jihoon and looks back at me.

"That's impossible. He is married, Ma'am."

"I just said that you two look cute. He's so attentive to you. I thought that he's single and you two are something. And that rock you're wearing, girl...that must be Cartier or something from the same league," she fixed her eyes on my ring.

"Mr. Gong and I are in a professional relationship, Ma'am. I'm sorry I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression."

"No worries, I just can't help it, and I bet it's not just me!"