Chapter 9 - Annie McDonald

"Okay class, who can tell me what the Imp is, what they do, and what they look like?" Professor Shaklebolt asks, Elise puts her hand up and the professor chooses her.

"Imps are mischievous magical creatures that enjoy tormenting targets by tripping them over or throwing small objects at them. They live in marshlands and look kind of like a pixie, except they can't fly, they're about 6 - 8 inches tall and they're not nearly as brightly colored," Elise explains.

"Well done Elise, 5 points to Slytherin." Shaklebolt smiles. "Now, who can tell me a spell that will be successful against one?"

I had to admit, professor Shaklebolt, though rather old, would have been an extremely attractive woman in her day. She still had very long, blonde hair and bright amber eyes. It was easy to see how she once could have been a very attractive woman.

Annie puts her hand up, smiling mischievously, she gets chosen; "Any counter spell will work on imps really, they are quite easy to dispatch. I can give an example if you like?"

"Please do Annie," the professor smiles politely.

Annie stands up, smirking in my direction, without thinking twice she pulls out her wand points it smugly in my direction; "Flipendo."

I hold on to my chair quickly, but instead of falling off it as I expected,  the chair wobbles very slightly before it comes to a stop. The whole class erupts in laughter at Annie's spell fail and I can't help but throw her the same smug smile that she threw me.

"Good try Annie, is there anyone else that would like to demonstrate a spell that will be effective against an imp?" Professor Shaklebolt offers.

I instantly throw my hand in the air; "alright Jade, off you go."

I stand up and look straight at Annie, she aimed for me, so it was only fair I aimed for her; "Flipendo," I chant, almost instantly, Elise falls off her chair and is thrown back a meter or so. I smile in triumph at the fact that I was able to perform the same spell that Annie failed at.

"Very well done Jade, 5 points to Gryffindor," Shaklebolt smiles proudly.

I sit back down, very aware of the burning glare attached to my head.

"The knockback jinx is an extremely useful spell, and Annie was correct when she said it would be effective against Imps, however, we will be learning a different, more simple spell today that will work just as well, and has many different purposes. Repeat after me, 'Vermillious.'" Shaklebolt chants. The class repeats her chant, "this spell is a minor offensive spell that will be fine on Imps, but its main purpose is to send red sparks into the sky, this comes in very handy when notifying surrounding wizards of potential danger, or an emergency."

We all begin practicing the chant without our wands, it seemed easy enough to master.

"Now that we have had some practice, I have brought a few Imps here today so we can practice on them. I must remind you that this spell will not hurt the imps in any way, it will just derail the imps, dazing them momentarily, they will also be returned to their habitat when we are done with them." She says; "line up."

We all get in a single file line, somehow I ended up being the first person, Shaklebolt removes a blanket from what looks like a cage and opens the door, letting one Imp out. The Imp grins in my direction, jumping off the table and quickly running over to me, probably trying to push me over or something.

"Vermillious," I chant, the Imp is almost instantly pushed back a few centimeters after falling onto its backside. Everyone cheers and I can't help but grin, I was the first one and I did it. It shakes its head confusedly as professor Shakelbolt picks it up and puts in back in the cage gently, she then gets another one out and its Eli's turn.