Chapter 12 - Verdimillious

Alright, class, we finished up with Imps last week so this week we will begin looking at ghosts," Professor Shaklebolt smiles. An excited murmur fills the classroom, it seemed everyone enjoyed our Defence Against the Dark Arts lessons.

"Who can tell me how one becomes a ghost?" Shaklebolt asks. Instantly, a few hands shoot up, including Elise.

"How about you Mr Jones," Shaklbolt asks, staring at Eli expectantly. Eli freezes momentarily, knowing the answer but not expecting to be questioned. Annie scoffs loudly a few tables over, Professor Shaklebolt ignores this but it brings Eli back to reality.

"Ghosts are souls of once-living people that are left behind when they die, you become a ghost by either being afraid of death, or having an extremely strong connection to the places they haunt," Eli says quickly, throwing a sarcastic pointed look at Annie. Usually, Eli was almost as kind as Bella, but Annie had been bullying him and Layla for ages and he was rightfully getting sick of it.

"Well done Eli, 5 points to Gryffindor. Can anyone describe some of the abilities that ghosts possess?" Shakebolt asks.

The same students put their hands back up, this time she chooses Annie to answer her question; "Ghosts can float through solid surfaces and are a transparent version of their former selves. They also cause disturbance to water and fire. Whenever a ghost is around, the temperature drops." Annie states confidently, throwing us all a dirty look.

"What's her problem?" Isla mutters under her breath, luckily the only people that hear are me, Eli, Layla, and Roni who looks at her curiously, obviously wondering who she was talking about.

"Very good Annie, 10 points to Slytherin, muggles cannot see ghosts, or turn into them either," Shkalebolt adds. Annie's mocking smile falters slightly, but she quickly regains herself.

"To go with Ghosts, we will also be learning the Verdimillious Charm. Can anyone tell me the purpose of this charm, and what will happen when used?" Shaklebolt continues.

To my surprise, no one's hand shoots up. Professor Shaklbolt however, looks like she expects this response.

"This is a very recent discovery and I am not surprised that none of you are aware of it, not to worry. The Verdimillious Charm is one that will reveal objects that are hidden, or have origins of the dark arts. This spell can also be used in dueling. Once chanted, green sparks will shoot from the tip of your wand, illuminating the room in green for a short period of time. This will temporally affect your opponent's sight as well as revealing any objects that have any foundation of the dark arts. The brightness and length of your sparks will depend heavily on the power of the wizard and their wands. Extremely powerful wizards have been known to illuminate more than a quidditch pitch for an astounding 8 minutes." Shaklebolt explains, "can I have a volunteer to attempt this charm?"

Once again, no one puts their hands up.

"Miss Grey, how about you?" Shaklebolt smile at Roni who gulps from the table in front of me.

"Sure." Roni gulps, standing up and getting out her wand; "Verdimillious."

Green sparks quickly shoot out from her wand, casting a thing green curtain over the room. It lasts about 6 seconds before it fades.

"Well done Veronica, a very good first attempt, 5 points to Gryffindor. Your power when casting this charm will only improve with practice and confidence." Shaklebolt smiles fondly. Roni grins proudly at the compliments. "Can I have another volunteer?"

"I will," Heidi replies standing up, Shaklebolt nods at her encouragingly as she chants the incarnation. Instantly, a thick curtain of green sparks shoots from her wand. This time it stays for just over a minute.