Chapter XII ~ ᛃ ( Jera ) Part IV - Drink The Wine, Taste The Blood

[ Devastation ]

_________________

My fingers tightened around Dwayne's hand as the tremor refused to cease, my with genuine concern widened eyes scanning his features in search for any clues, but he showed little to no reaction besides a gentle tug on my hand, his thumb brushing over my knuckles.

Some steps away I heard David respond to Dwayne's silence with a sinister chuckle, fueling the tension between the three of us to the point where I could perceive it with all my senses.

The air around us seemed to boil, anticipation along with my rapidly growing anxiety eventually pushing me to rocket up from my spot on the couch & draw right in front of the man my heart was aching for, now more than ever.

I lifted a hand to cup the side of his face, the muscles in his jaw tensing beneath my palm as he flinched at my touch & finally locked eyes with me.
Seeing his lips quiver I pulled myself into his chest, swallowing the lump in my throat so my voice wouldn't fade again.

" Dwayne... What is he talking about? What's wrong..?

Please, say something. I'm genuinely worried about you! "

His eyes turned glassy like he was on the verge of crying yet he wouldn't shed a single tear, wordlessly taking in the fear in my own while placing his hands on my shoulders.

He seemed torn between pulling me right into a tight embrace & pushing me away again.

" I'm sorry, Lily... "
And just like his hands his voice too began to tremble, his attempt to remain strong in front of me nothing but an exercise in futility.

"...but I haven't been fully honest with you. "

The lump in my throat continued to grow, the fear of receiving some devastating news threatening to choke me.

" What are you trying to say, Dwayne..? "

His grip on my shoulders tightened, his eyes wandering away from mine & behind me to - so I assumed - look out for David; whether it was for guidance purposes or out of sheer desperation I couldn't tell, but at this stage his inner conflict was no longer just an internal one.

The terror was already written all over his face...

" ...Dwayne. Talk to me, please! Whatever it is, I'm sure we can work through it!

Nothing can be that bad! "

From behind me David's distinctive chuckle entered my ears, sending a long & intense chill straight down my spine.

" That is quite the brave assumption to make, Lily ~ "

I didn't even need to turn around to tell that he had arisen from his wheelchair & taken a few steps towards us.

" But if I were you, I would not be willing to die on this hill. "

" Stay out of it! " I replied in a surprisingly fierce tone, placing my other hand on Dwayne's cheek in a dire attempt to bring his attention back to me.

" Don't listen to him, Dwayne. No matter what you have to say - I won't judge hard... But by all means, you have to tell me! "

His eyes drifted back to me, mirroring the expectation in mine, his hands sliding up the side of my neck to cup my face & pull me closer. He drew a deep breath & leaned in until we were standing forehead to forehead, his voice awfully quiet when he finally gathered the strength to speak.

" Remember when I said that me staying close to you during this whole meeting was actually my condition, not yours? "

I furrowed my brows in utter confusion.
" ...yes, I do. Why? "