Chapter XIII ~ ᛇ ( Eihwaz ) Part I - Pale Tortured Blue

_____________

“ I don't think they are truly evil.
               They are just... so lost... "

_____________

I had become awfully quiet since Dwayne's sudden departure, trying to draw in as little attention as possible while sitting on the Victorian inspired canopy bed & staring at the wine glass between my fingers, occasionally peering up only to see what the other three vampires were doing.

Marko & Paul were currently busy playing catch with an old battered football, or rather a more fast-paced & far less rule-bound version of it, dancing around the water fountain & laughing like the carefree spirits they were. I found it hard to believe that these two were capable of transforming into bloodthirsty beasts at the mere snap of a finger…

David on the other hand showed little to no interest in joining their game, simply relaxing in his wheelchair like a king on his throne with a wine glass in one & a cigarette in the other hand. Every now & then he glanced in my direction, catching my own intrigued yet at the same time nervous look which seemed to amuse him greatly.
He hadn't spoken a single word since our kiss; a kiss I could still taste on my lips as well as in every single breath of mine. I hadn't said anything either, despite dozens of questions circulating through my head, the true motivation behind his kiss being one of them.
That, & obviously the motivation behind his invitation…

David took another sip from his wine, his cold blue eyes traveling along the brim of his glass & over to me, a faint smirk tugging at his lips.
Placing the now emptied glass on a small boat-shaped table beside him the vampire arose from his wheelchair, humming softly while beginning to strip off his long black coat.
I actually watched him the entire time, oddly captivated by the sight of him allowing the ebony fabric to slide down his arms & looking unnecessarily graceful while doing so, almost like a snake that was slowly shedding its skin.

The attire underneath was rather simple; just a black skin-tight shirt that highlighted his athletic yet still well built arms & chest. On the inside of his left wrist I thought I spotted what looked like a small tattoo the shape of a snake, but his glove covered it completely once he lifted his hand to take a draw from his cigarette.

He caught me staring, much to my dismay, & I finally broke eye contact with him. Mildly aroused I brought my glass up to my lips only to realise that it was already empty, dropping a soft sigh into the bowl before placing the glass on top of a tiny wooden dresser next to the bed, at last feeling the first subtle wave of fatigue roll over me.

I shook my head as if to shake off the sleepiness that way, stretching my arms & moving around on the bed to avoid getting even more tired. This was undoubtedly the wine's doing; red wine always made me sleepy, & Merlot Noir in particular. Not to mention that the events & all the turmoil from the past few hours had taken their toll on me, along with the severe lack of sleep from the previous night.
Perhaps coming here hadn't been that much of a great idea after all…

Bonk!

" Ow!! "
I peered down to find the football Paul & Marko had been playing with in my lap after striking my forehead from a rather unfortunate angle, literally knocking the sleepiness right out of me.
" Hey! "

" Uh-oh! "
Paul exclaimed as I looked over & immediately pointed at Marko, his face guilt-ridden & his eyes wide.

" It was him! He did it on purpose, I saw it! "