28

Roman laid there curled up against Virgil's chest panting erratically as his body tensed and relax sporadically from the pain. He whimpered and whined with every breath and there were several times where Virgil had to help him up and over the bucket just so he didn't end up choking.  Right now Roman was just crying in his sleep as he weakly held Virgil close to him. It broke Virgil's heart. The younger had been trying to keep Remus informed who despite saying he couldn't help also said he couldn't be left out of the loop either. 

Virgil gently trailed his fingers through the prince's hair, his heart cracking down the seams with every sob and pant. Tears painted Roman's blackened skin, making it all glisten and shine as the prince's magic flared and shifted. It was hot. Very hot and overstuffed... Virgil frowned as his fingers brushed the others cheek feeling the burn it left in response. Roman had a fever and being a fairy of fire... He felt like he was holding a heater set on max. Virgil groaned as he gently pulled away only to hesitate at the pitiful whine that erupted from Roman's lips.

"No." Roman coughed as he limply tried to pull him in again. "Don't go. Don't..."

"I'm just opening the window, Poppy." The sad broken sound Roman made when he couldn't feel Virgil on the bed anymore echoed like the song of a dying light. It tore everything down until there was nothing but the ringing in Virgil's ears. Up went the window as the cool air tumbled through the screen. Roman shivered against the massive chill that overtook him. It felt nice compared to the heat that made it so hard to breathe but he would have rathered himself drown in the warmth then lose Virgil's contact for even a second. As stated before, when Roman was sick, he was even more clingy than usual... obsessively so. Not that Virgil minded at all. In fact, Virgil was just as content to spend every second Roman wanted with the two curled up in each others arms. He just hated how sick the prince was all because of a little bit of custard. He barely had more than a full tablespoon worth of it and yet... Roman was in so much pain. His body just rejected it completely.

"C-Come back... please? C-Campion?" Virgil smiled sadly as he didn't say anything. He just laid back down onto the bed letting Roman curled back up into him nuzzling into his chest. "Th-Thank y-you."

"I wasn't leaving you, Ro. Just opening the window."

"D-Don't l-let go." Virgil nodded as he hugged him tighter, his hands absentmindedly moving up Roman's back. Roman's eyes shot wide the second Virgil's hands met that one spot and this jolt went down his spine. He couldn't stop the gasp he made as he clutched tighter to the darker fae. Virgil frowned as Roman's breathing lapsed. It wasn't in pain. It was in shock. Shock because it didn't hurt. Virgil had accidentally put his hands where the base of his wings had been and it was like all the pain vanished. Well, not all the pain. Roman's entire body was still rejecting the dairy he had but... He didn't understand it. It was like the second Virgil's hands met that spot something changed. The pain Roman had become numb to died down so suddenly it made Roman realize just how much he had been hurting. He had become so numb to it, it all stayed in the back of his mind but... He could breathe. He could actually breathe. His heart felt... lighter? He felt... He... He felt whole again. 

For the first time in 12 year's Roman felt whole.
That was until Virgil moved his hands again making everything suddenly crash into him.

"Put them back!" Roman cried out as his body seized up on him. Tears flooded out as he desperately clawed at Virgil's shirt. "C-Cam-mpion, p-please. Back... Back... Put them back."

"Roman, your wi-..."

"PUT THEM BACK!" Roman yelled out making Virgil jump in shock. The pure agony in the prince's voice was enough to scare anyone. Virgil slowly put his hands back as he pulled Roman in tight feeling how the prince relaxed in his arms. "Thank you. Thank you." He mumbled half coherently as melted into the feeling of being whole again. He didn't understand it, but he didn't care. He felt whole. He felt complete. He felt... loved. "Just hold me. Please just hold me."

"What about your wings?" Virgil frowned as his anxiety started to burn through him. He knew for a fact that Roman's scars were directly under where his hands were placed. He had seen Roman without his shirt enough times to know. He knew how painful the scars were and how much Roman hated yet... 

"Don't let me go. Don't move. Please? Virgil, please?" Roman shifted in a way that brought him up till he was about to nuzzle into the younger's neck, his arms and legs wrapped around him like a koala, clinging tightly to that which will ease all of his suffering. "Please, don't let me go. You're helping." 

"I..." Virgil faltered a bit as Roman smiled into him. "I'm helping." Roman only nodded as just laid there letting his pain seem to wash away. "I'm glad."

"I love you, Virgil." Roman mumbled tiredly as he felt himself start to drift off, not quite to the point where he would actually fall asleep but still sleepy all the same. Virgil was happy. Roman seemed to be calming down. He wasn't panting anymore. He didn't look like he was about to throw up at any second. He looked like he was finally on the way to getting better. 

"I love you too, Roman. Get some rest ok?" Roman giggled quietly as he nodded and just let out a very content and soft breath as he completely relaxed into Virgil's embrace. For the first time in so long... Roman actually felt completely at peace. There was no pain at all. The last time he remembered feeling this good was... well...

It was when he still had his wings. 
It was when he still had his Nightengale.