34

"Are you ok, Virgil?" Roman asked softly as the two slowly made their way back home after dinner. Virgil hadn't been able to work up the courage to ask him at all after class. He knew he'd have time as it was Friday and that meant classes were off until Monday. He'd have the whole weekend to talk this through with Roman. He just had to ask the question first. He really shouldn't hold off on it either. "Virgil?"

"Hmm?" Roman frowned seeing how his love was dazed. Virgil had been so lost in thought all day Roman had noticed something was wrong. He'd been asking the same question all day getting no response and it was starting to wear the prince thin.

"I asked if you were ok, Virgil." Roman's eyes were narrowed in concern as Virgil frowned, confused at what was going on.

"I'm fine."

"Virgil." Roman stopped them short as the younger just sighed and tried to fake a smile. "Please?"

"I'm just a bit... lost, Poppy. I swear I'm ok." Roman watched as Virgil walked off again, a look of worry in his eyes. Something was definitely not ok.

"Campion talk to me." He yelled after as they finally made it back to the house. Remus was out partying with Janus to keep him in line so they had the house to themselves till late. To be honest, now would be the best time to bring his question up. Virgil slowly made his way to the kitchen, watching as Roman collapsed onto the couch, as he made the two of them some hot chocolate. Let's just say Virgil was very proud of his ability to take to a vegan style so quickly. He passed a cup over to Roman who just stared at it a while before setting on the table clearly showing just how upset he was since he didn't even take a sip. "Talk to me... please?"

"Class today got me thinking is all." Roman's eyes darted over as Virgil just smiled slightly. "I've been lost in thought... going over everything I've seen or heard. Overthinking I guess, to be honest."

"About?"

"You." Roman's eyes shot wide as Virgil nodded, taking a sip of his choco as he did. "Well... You and your nightingale."

"Virgil, I told you..."

"I have nothing to worry about. I know. You've said that." Roman could see how dazed Virgil's eyes still were and all he wanted to do was ease the fairy's mind. Virgil shook his head and he stared off at nothing. "I'm not angry or upset over you having that bond with him, Roman. And even now I know you love me. My worry is not over whether or not your feelings are real or if we could ever be together. I know you care about me just as much as I love you but... I guess I've been a bit lost. As I couldn't help but wonder if you really can move on from him or if you're only trying to make me feel better." Virgil glanced over, seeing the confusion in Roman's eyes, and he groaned. "Forget it. It's not important." 

"Wait..." Roman called out as Virgil walked off, the prince quickly following after as they abandoned their choco. Neither one felt the drink had any real importance over the topic at hand. Roman followed the other right into what was now their shared bedroom watching as Virgil practically threw himself into their bed. "Virgil..."

"It's not important."

"Virgil, if it's upsetting you than right now it's the MOST important." Roman fired back as he slowly sat down on the bed beside his love. "And if I can help then please let me."

"Roman, I am not scared that you don't love me. I know you do..."

"I love you more than anything..."

"That." Roman faltered as Virgil pushed himself up and shook his head. "That right there. That's what I can't stop thinking about. 'You love me more than anything'? Roman, I want you to truly think about it. Truly think about what you love..." Roman frowned as Virgil smirked sadly. "Can you really say you love me when you love him?"

"I love you." Roman said with a firm yet low voice, one that made Virgil crash a bit though not enough. "I love you, Virgil. You mean everything to me. What is this about?"

"Poppy..." Virgil started unsure how to ask and knowing exactly what would happen if he did. It didn't change the fact that even though he didn't want to hurt him, he needed to ask Roman the question. "I'm sorry but I need to know. I need to..."

"Ok." Roman took Virgil's hand as the other visibly shook. "What do you need to know?"

"Please forgive me for asking but..." Virgil turned to look the other right in his eyes making Roman tense at the pain Virgil was clearly in. "Did you already chose your mate?" The reaction was instant and Virgil crashed completely the second he watched Roman's eyes go lifeless. The prince looked away as the room seemed to turn cold. "R-Roman?" There was no response, only serving to break Virgil's heart more. "Roman, please... Please look at me." Virgil stumbled as he pushed himself closer, putting his hands on either side of Roman's face trying to get him to look him in the eyes. "Roman, I know it hurts. I'm sorry, but I need you to stay with me ok? Please? Please answer the question?"

"What?" Roman's voice was so quiet and broken it was clear he wasn't fully there but the fact that he responded was a start. "What question?"

"Did you already choose a mate?" Roman winced bad, his hands moving to grip Virgil's wrists as he cried. That alone was enough to answer his question. "Roman?"

"N-No. No." Roman mumbled as he shakily shook his head. "No, I... I couldn't have."

"Roman think about it. You're showing all the signs of someone who's lost their mate." Roman groaned as his body pulled him under. His blood felt like it was boiling. Everything hurt. It hurt so much.

"It hurts." He mumbled so quietly, Virgil strained to hear it but he got the gist. "It hurts."

"I know. I know it does but Roman I need you to stay with me." Roman whined as the pain just drowned him in it all. "I need you to think about it ok? Your Nightingale..."

"NO!" Roman yelled out loudly as he curled up into himself much to Virgil's shock. "No. No. No. No..." Roman was sobbing out at this point, his heart racing to the point where he couldn't even feel it. "Please no. Hurts. It hurts too much. Too much. Too..."

"Did you chose him to be your mate, Roman?" The way Roman went completely rigid broke Virgil's heart like a porcelain doll. He took a deep breath as he wrapped his arms around the other gently pulling him in against his chest. "It's ok if you did. I'm not going to hate you for having chosen someone else Roman. I love you. I just... I just needed to know if at the end of the day when you're with me... who your heart truly belonged too."

"Too young." Virgil's eyes narrowed as Roman whimpered out with every breath. "Too young. Didn't know. I didn't know. Couldn't choose him. Didn't choose... I didn't know about it until after... Didn't learn about m-ma... mat... them until already gone." Roman's hands clutched Virgil's shirt as Roman's eyes stared unblinkingly at nothing. His mind was so far under it was doubtful that Roman was even aware of anything. "Was going to marry him..." Virgil frowned slightly as Roman smiled a bit. The younger wasn't upset or hurt at the admission. As he said, he really didn't care if Roman loved his nightingale. His pain and worry over it all were more along the lines of... Virgil couldn't be Roman's 'mate' if he had already chosen someone else. Virgil felt as though he could never truly call Roman his. "Told him I would marry him... I loved him. He left. He..." Roman gasped as he buried himself into Virgil's chest.

"It's ok, Roman. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have pushed. It's ok..."

"You can't go." Roman mumbled into the other's shirt making if sound all muffled. "You can't leave me. You have to stay here." Virgil felt his tears building up at just how broken Roman was. It was clear. Even if Roman didn't realize it. Even if Roman was too young to understand... Roman had chosen his mate. It was clear as day. Virgil only regretted having had to force the answer out and causing his love to break so much. "You can't leave me here alone."

"I'm not going anywhere, Poppy. I promise"

"No. No... I need you. Don't go. Don't do it. You can't leave me. Please..." Roman shifted, completely out, and lost in the memories that plagued him. He nuzzled into Virgil's neck whispering softly into his ear as he cried. "Nightingale..." Virgil's eyes shot wide as his magic flurried around him. His body went rigid in response, tears flowing freely as Roman went limp against him. "Please, don't leave me."

That's when everything went black.