44

"To be entirely honest, Thomas, I wasn't expecting you to recognize me with my glamour up." Virgil hissed lightly as Roman wrapped an arm around him noticing just how tensed up Virgil was. "I'm surprised."

"I'm the king... I am closely intuned with every fae."

"And yet you couldn't notice that Roman was..." Virgil stopped himself short forcing himself to stop as he was in fact talking to royalty. "My apologies, Thomas. I'll try to... refrain from... whatever that was."

"You're upset. Given our last encounter, I can understand. I must say though... Moonsh-... Uh..." Thomas frowned as he shook his head and sighed. "I am happy to see you here. I had tried to keep up with you but once the program ended I was unable to keep track. I'm afraid I thought you might have... died."

"Nope, not dead. Just alone." Thomas grimaced slightly as Virgil's eyes narrowed. "Alone... hurt... and having forgotten literally everything."

"Hun." Thomas's eyes snapped up as Roman tried to comfort Virgil. "It's ok. Don't forget that."

"I'm sorry. I just... I can't... I only recently remember everything. That means everything is still fresh in my mind. It hurts." Roman nodded understandingly as Virgil shook in his arms. "I lost my best friend for what reason..."

"I'm sorry." Thomas quickly cut in before Roman could say anything, who was clearly breaking down right along with Virgil at this point. "My intention was to never..."

"I know what your intention was. It doesn't change the outcome." Virgil snapped before reeling back again. "Shit. I just keep... Again... I'm sorry. I hope you don't take my anger as any form of aggression or hostility. I am trying not to be so... harsh. You are the king... I'm just..." Thomas didn't bother to respond. He understood. Besides, he knew exactly who Virgil was. He was like a son to him. There was hardly anything Virgil could do that would make Thomas retaliate as the youngest was no doubt fearing.

"Father..." Roman whispered softly catching everyone's attention as he never took his gaze off his mate. "I think it would be best if we retire this for now. Virgil here, as you already it seems, needs to go to the changling program one last time... Since he's returned."

"Right." Thomas cleared his throat as he smiled over at his son not for once second missing how Virgil paled at the mention of the program. "I'm assuming you're to be handling everything then."

"He's my mate." Thomas froze up completely, everything visibly breaking in him, as Roman just hugged Virgil closer. "Of course, I'm going to handle everything. It's why I'm here. Sorry for just springing it on you but..."

"No, I understand. It makes sense." Thomas didn't bother to fake his smile again as he just looked away and sighed. "Well, go on. I'm sure... Virgil? That's the name you used right? Anyway. I'm sure Virgil would rather spend as little time back in the program as he needs so you might as well head off." Roman nodded as Thomas started off only to pause and glance back with a sad look in his eyes. "Will you be joining me for dinner at least or..." He glanced down at Virgil who hadn't reacted at all and he frowned. "You don't have to."

"As long as Virgil is ok with it. I don't want to push him." Thomas hesitated for a second before nodding and walking off. "Virgil, my love?"

"I don't hate him." Virgil's voice softly filtered through the air making Roman frown at how small Virgil seemed to be making himself. "I don't hate him. I don't. I just hate what he did. I hate the reason he gave me. As if it was my fault... As if I wanted to hurt you."

"What?"

"I didn't want you to get hurt, Poppy. I swear I didn't." Virgil hiccupped as he curled up into himself. "It broke my heart seeing you in so much pain. And then he... He told me I had to... I said I had to leave to protect you. I just wanted to protect you but it hurt you even more and... I know why now and that makes me so angry. I never wanted to leave you."