47

"You know we're going to have to get rings right?" Virgil teased lightly as they slowly made their way to the dining hall. Roman's eyes lit up as this bright smile filled his face making Virgil falter a bit. "What?"

"We need to get you a circlet." Virgil stopped short as his eyes went wide and Roman laughed. "What? You're my fiance, Virgil. You're engaged to a prince. That means upon or wedding you become a prince too." The panic in Virgil's eyes only made Roman sigh. "Virgil..."

"I completely forgot about that. I-I never thought I would... I just thought... Roman, I can't be in any position of power! How am I supposed to deal with that?!" Roman quickly pulled his love in for a kiss as they just melted into the embrace. Roman smiled as he shook his head and leaned his forehead against Virgil's.

"I love you, Virgil. More so I know you... Just with how you took over and spoke to Erin when we arrived is proof enough. You've lived in this castle. You've been raised with us and around royal affairs. You'll have a better time adjusting than Janus ever did and he fit right in here with Remus. Please trust yourself. You'll be splendid... and you'll have me here to help if you ever need it."

"I don't like this. It's too soon. I just got my memories back. I can't..."

"Virgil, we aren't married yet." Roman reminded softly making Virgil flinch subtly. "Nothing is happening anytime soon. I only brought it up because I remembered it. You would need one but it doesn't mean you have to wear it yet or that you have to do anything. Think of it as... You're in waiting."

"I don't want to 'be in waiting'." Virgil grumbled making Roman laugh as he pulled away and started to lead Virgil off again towards the dining hall. 

"Oh, so you want to just get married now then? I thought you didn't want the position too soon."

"NO!" Virgil hissed as Roman laughed louder. "That's not even funny."

"I thought it was." Roman winked making Virgil huff beside him. "Virgil, you're only afraid because you don't think you can be in this position of power but I know from experience that you will do amazing. However, I am not going to just force this on you so... How about this... We don't tell anyone here." Virgil's eyes widened as Roman brought them to a stop again in front of the dining hall door. "We don't tell Father. We don't tell any of the servants. We don't even tell anyone you're my mate besides, Father who already knows that. We don't give anyone any indication that your to be my husband."

"I'd prefer it, Ro. I'm sorry..."

"It's ok. You're still my fiance, Campion." Roman smiled as he brushed Virgil's hair back. "But..." That made Virgil freeze up. Of course, there would be a but. "We do tell the Fae's at camp."

"Roman..."

"We tell them so you have something to practice with." Virgil frowned slightly as Roman just met his gaze reassuringly. "There are less Fae at the camp than even here in the castle. That's merely a fraction of the fae in all of Fairyland. That's means you don't have that many eyes on you. You get the exposure... the practice... and the support of fae kind BEFORE ever coming out as my mate to the kingdom. That's something Janus didn't even get."

"You really think I can do this?" Roman smiled as he nodding.

"I know you can, Nightengale." Virgil sighed softly as he nodded making Roman's eyes shine.

"Ok. Ok... I'll. I can do that. If your certain I can and... You'll be with me right. You won't let me fail."

"You're not going to fail, Virgil. Everyone there already sees you as my love. They already care for and respect you."

"Romulus..." Roman's face fell instantly as he noticed how Virgil's hands were shaking. "Promise me you won't let me fail. I love you. You're my mate. I want to be with you. I can't fail."

"I promise you, Nightengale. I won't let you fail." Virgil relaxed as he let Roman hold him to help ground him. "We'll start with the camp first. When we get back well let the fae know of who you are and us being engaged. We'll inform the humans of our relationship too because... we kinda have to if we think about it. We'll take this slow though ok. We'll let father know... ONLY when you are ready to."

"Ok. Thank you, Roman." Roman pressed a soft kiss to his loves forehead before pull away and smiling. 

"I'd do anything for you, Love. Waiting... Waiting means nothing if, in the end, we're still together. I've waited 12 years to be with you again. I can wait a few more before the whole kingdom knows it too." Roman gestured to the door as Virgil took a deep breath. "Are you ready, Campion?"

"Ready to have dinner with the one man I have yet to forgive and makes me incredibly angry because he hurt my mate in the worst way possible?" Roman frowned as Virgil sighed and nodded. "Yeah... Yeah, I am."

"Just know I'm in the same boat here, Love. I don't want to see him either." Virgil shot him an awkward smile as Roman went to open the door. "If I don't say anything you'll know why."

"I can see it now. You're completely mute and I don't ever shut up... Oh, how the tables have turned." Virgil teased as the Roman groaned finally pushing the door open to see Thomas at the table. The king looked up only to suddenly jump up and smile sadly at the two of them.

"You came." His voice was soft as he quickly gestured to the seats around him. It was a large table to sit many guests but as Virgil knew from their past they typically took the center seats. As Roman gently pulled out a chair for Virgil who took it with a thankful smile, Thomas took his seat again and just stared at the table. "I was beginning to think you wouldn't. I would have understood of course..."

"I hadn't eaten." Virgil cut in making Thomas falter a bit. "Lunch, I mean. I skipped it and stayed in the room to rest so... I kind of had to come to eat." Thomas only shook his head as he gestured to the servents to go bring the food.

"You didn't need to eat with me."