31

Virgil laid there in the hammock curled up against Roman's chest.  The two were having some free time just being in each others arms. They both could feel how their magic seemed to meld into one. Roman melted completely. His eyes were closed, mouth parted slightly, as he took in the feeling of pure completion that being with Virgil gave him. He was completely and totally whole and happy just lying there with his love. Nothing else mattered... Nothing else bothered him. He was without pain and it just felt... amazing. Virgil was amazing.

"A bird." Roman frowned slightly in confusion as Virgil cuddled closer into his chest. The silent air swirled about them until he could hear it. Roman couldn't stop the smile that formed on his lips the second he recognized the sound. "It's a bird, Poppy. Can you hear it?"

"Nightingale." Virgil's eyes shot wide feeling his magic twinge. He blinked in confusion as he tried to figure out what had happened. Roman just sighed happily listening to the sweet song the bird was singing, as if it was singing for them. "It's a nightingale."

"Nightin... Night..." Virgil couldn't get the word out. He could feel how his magic reacted every time Roman uttered it. Something deep in him seemed to swell at the name. A slight spark of joy over hearing it, but not enough for him to understand why. Roman nodded as he cuddles Virgil closer wrapping his arms around the younger's waist. 

"Yep. A nightingale. I haven't heard one in so long." Roman held that reminiscent smile on his lips as he laughed softly to himself. "There was a time I didn't even want to see out into the night let alone hear a nightingales' song. I've missed it. They sound so sweet."

"I'm confused."

"Understandable." Roman let his eyes open as he stared longingly up into the sky, making Virgil tense slightly at the realization of just who Roman was thinking about.

"Nightingale was... what I named him." Virgil's eyes widened as Roman's smile grew. "He was brought to the castle with no name. His father having been a knight who ultimately died in action. His mother died in childbirth. With no one to give him a proper name, the king didn't see it fit to give one himself. Father believed that he should be allowed to then chose his own name."

"And did he?" Roman just shook his head.

"No. No, he didn't. Or... at least he never told me if he did. We all had a name for him. Logan, Patton, Remus, and I... Even Father had something he would call him when he was younger. I just... I always called him my nightingale. He was my nightingale and that's there was to it." Virgil's eyes darkened with concern seeing the tears forming in his love's eyes.

"Roman maybe we shouldn't be talking about this. I don't want you having an episode and getting yourself hurt." Roman shook his head as he leaned in against Virgil's.

"I'm ok, Campion. It doesn't hurt as much anymore. I just have to be careful. Certain topics I still can't do. They still hurt so much but I can talk about him." Roman gently moved his hand till he was tangling his fingers through Virgil's white hair. "He was my best friend. At the time... He mattered more to me than anything. That's something... I can no longer claim, having fallen so hard for you but... It doesn't change the fact that he was apart of my life. It doesn't change that I still cared for him greatly.... and I lost him. I..." Roman tensed as he forced himself to close his eyes trying hard not to fall down that thought path as it was still way too painful. "He was so young. He was raised in the palace... the last of his race... the last night fairy. Father was always saying he was never meant to stay but... Even I knew he cared about the boy. Royal or not my father loved Nightingale just as much as the rest of us. That's why it hurt so much knowing that it was him who..."

"How did you lose him?" Roman gasped as he shook making Virgil hold him tighter a worried look in his eyes.

"I can't. I can't talk about that. Please..." Roman whined Virgil just nodded and rubbed his back, knowing it helped to soothe the prince when he's in pain. "It still hurt to think about... still to... to painful. Too much..."

"I'm sorry." Roman shook his head as the to moved just enough so that Roman was the one against Virgil's chest instead.

"Not... Not your fault, Hun. I'm trying. Trying to move past this. I love you so much. I... I can't lose you like I lost him. I just can't do it." Virgil's eyes held that sad expression as Roman clung to him tightly.

"Why don't you tell me more about what you can think of... huh, Poppy?" Roman's eyes lit up as Virgil hugged him close wanting nothing more than to take any and all pain away from his love. "I don't mind. Really... I'd love to hear more."

"Are you... are you sure?" Roman mumbled quietly under his breath. "I don't want to upset you. You mean everything to me, Campion. He and I may have been close back then but... Right now... right now I belong solely to you. I don't want you thinking that that could ever change or that anything's different."

"I know you loved him, Poppy. I can see it in your eyes." Roman tensed his body subconsciously gripping Virgil's shirt as if to keep him from leaving him. "It's ok, Roman. Go ahead. I want to know more about him. I'm not scared that you love me less than him. I'm not scared that you'd up and leave me. The connection we have... I know you feel the same as I do. I want to know more about you, Poppy. And that means... learning more about the boy you cared for before me too."

"Are you sure you don't mind?" Roman uttered again making Virgil quite aware of the panic his prince was in. "I don't want to hurt you."

"Go ahead, Roman. If you want to talk about him... I'm more than happy to listen." Roman relaxed with a very relief filled expression. A soft fondness in his eyes as he just laid there with content. "Tell me about this Nightingale of yours."

"Ok well... I guess I could start with the cake incident." Roman laughed happily as listened to Virgil's heartbeat against his ear. "Father was so pissed about the mess but he couldn't help but laugh right alongside us over it. The kitchen was such a disaster."