Ticci-Toby

-----------------------------

                                                                                 Forest,  5:01 PM

You both walked into the forest, talking and laughing along the way. "Y-you what?" You said between laughs, wiping the tears away from your eyes. "I-I set him on fire!" She giggled, holding onto you for support. "Jeez Maybelle, that was s-savage." You checked your watch, looking at the time. "Alright, I think it's time we head back." She let go of you and straightened her posture, still giggling. "A-alright."

When you both turned around, you were both met with a pair of googles and a bloody mouth guard. You both took a step back, and he took a step forward. You pulled Maybelle closed to you and bent down to whisper to her; "Go." She hesitated. "But what about you?" She whispered back. A hatchet flew between the both of you, but you both easily dodged. "Now!" You shouted, watching her run into the direction we came from.

"G-great, lost a-another on-ne" When he spoke, he ticked. He started to run after her, until you tackled him, pinning him down. "Get o-off!" You both heard a loud twig snap, and he stopped struggling beneath you. You both looked to see the cause of the snap but saw nothing.

While you were distracted, he flipped over and pinned you down instead. "What the-" He put his hand over your mouth and raised one of his hatchets above your head, ready to bring it down. While you were struggling underneath him, a knife flew past both of your heads. He let go of your mouth and you both looked where the knife went and saw it wedged in a tree. "Great, now there's two people trying to kill me." You scoffed, rolling your eyes. "Actually, not kill you." A voice said, emerging from the trees. "Wait, Liu?" "Yes, it's me. And I thought i told you not to come back to this part of the forest." "..."

Your attacker got off of you but still held you at hatchet-point. "Liu, d-did you finally choose s-someone? After a-all these y-years?" He asked, all seriousness in his tone. "Yes, I indeed did." Liu was now a couple feet away from the both of you. Liu gritted his teeth. "Now lower the damn hatchet, Toby." 'Toby' was hesitant at first, but did as told. He attached his orange-handled hatchet back into his belt, and stomped off, irritated.

Liu looked you over, probably checking for any injuries. "I'm fine, just so you know." He hummed and ran his hand through his hair a couple times. "I still want an explanation, though." "I knew you'd say that."

                                                                           - - - - - - - - - - - -

                                                          Outer-skirts of the forest, 5:25 PM

"So what did he mean when he said that you chose me?" "Technically when one of us chooses somebody, it means that you chose to protect them.. from-" He let out a sigh. "..To protect them from Zalgo." He said, almost tripping over a twig. You snorted as he caught himself. "Shut up."

"And wait, did you say Zalgo?" "Yes, why?" "My father used to tell me stories about someone named  Zalgo." Liu muttered something under his breath and stopped walking. ".. You alright?" You asked, concerned. 

"This is worse than I thought.."