Ice Skates (Human AU)

This is gonna be slightly short. Enjoy!

__________

   "I'm not really this is a good idea, Jou-Jou..."

   "Ah, monkey brains, Turtle, you'll be fine! Didn't you live in that big ol' mansion next to the beach or something? What did you during winter?"

   "That's different! Oceans can't freeze!"

   "Tomato, tomah-to, it's still water. Come on, fish face!"

   With a pull, Kinkajou led her boyfriend, Turtle to the frozen lake, a small ways along from the Diamond Spray Delta in Diamond Spray City. Said boyfriend had a sling over his arm filled with snacks, drinks, and most importantly, ice skates.

   "Here it is!" Kinkajou looked up from Google Maps on her phone which she held in her other hand. "The lake! Glory used to take me here every winter!"

   It was an enchanting lake, to say the least. Beautiful crystals swirled in place in the natural ice rink, while a light flurry of snow drifted on to the frozen lake like a blanket. Not to mention the periwinkle sky, which shone on the ice like a disco ball. The couple couldn't help but release a sound of wonder at the winter wonderland.

   "I haven't seen snow in such a long time," Kinkajou breathed from under her pink scarf, reveling in memories of when she and her older sister would wake up early to see the first snowfall each year.

   Turtle almost had to drag the giddy girl away from a raging snowball fight between a few elementary school kids. Eventually, it was Kinkajou who was coaxing Turtle onto the ice after they had put on their skates.

   "It's not that hard! C'mon, you'll be fine!" she said, slowly gliding backwards as she held her hands out to him like a mother letting her child take his first steps.

   "You literally just fell down a few seconds ago!" Turtle retorted.

   "It's been a year, cut me some slack! I'll help you!"

   It'll be just like roller skating, but...colder, Turtle told himself. With a massive effort, he stepped foot on the ice, only to have him land on his rear. Kinkajou skated over to him, looking concerned. "You okay?"

    "Yep. I think. Just let me get up~" he responded hesitantly as Kinkajou held his waist to steady him.

   "Hey, you're on the ice! Hooray!"

   Turtle looked around at the white skate marks from past skaters on the otherwise pristine glass. "Uh, I think I'm stuck."

   "Just bend your knees and push forward-- like this!" Kinkajou demonstrated, gliding across the lake with such grace, she might as well have grown up in this magical place.

   "H-Hey!" Turtle yelped as she moved away from him. "Kinkajou! Don't abandon me! No! What if the ice is too thin, or I get knocked over, o-or--"

   Kinkajou came up from behind him, hugging his flailing arm. "Right here, sweetie. I'd never leave you," she giggled, booping him on the nose.

   Turtle sighed. "Okay. I...I think I'm ready."

   Arm in arm, Kinkajou slowly glided him around the rink, until she finally let him go. "Steady now..."

   "I think I--woah!"

   With a large flump, Turtle fell down once more. This time, he lay there on the ice, splaying out his limbs and giving Kinkajou a weak cheeky smile. Kinkajou skated toward him. "I think that's enough ice skating for today, huh?"

   "I'd be lying if I said no," Turtle agreed, struggling to get back on his feet, resorting to crawling on his hands and knees to the edge. He breathed a sigh of relief as he finally made it to solid ground.

   Kinkajou laughed, her breath sending out a plume of icy frost in the air. "I love you, you know?"

   "Yeah, I know. I find you quite lovable, too."

   The girl chuckled again, helping him get up and pecking him on the nose.

   This is perfect. Just me and my boyfriend on a winter day. I wish every day were like this.

__________

That's all for now, folks! Hope you liked it!