Dreams

Normal dragon universe. Prepare for madness.

---

   Turtle padded carefully, nervously, up to Kinkajou's cave, flower in talon.

   Today.

   Today was the day Turtle was going to tell Kinkajou everything.

   How just being near the jubilant RainWing made his heart beat faster and his mood soar.

   How their friendship had brought out a side to him that Turtle had never known he had.

   How he couldn't bear being just friends anymore, not when he wanted to love her like lovers do.

   The green SeaWing inhaled deeply, waiting for Kinkajou's class at Jade Mountain Academy to end. It seemed like forever until Turtle spotted the familiar yellow and pink head. He nervously waved at her, trying to catch her attention.

   "K-kinkajou, I have something to tell you," he muttered, the RainWing listening intently. "I like you, b-but more than normal. So, I-uh..." he presented his flower in an unappealing way, wishing he could dig a hole deep, deep into the ground and hide in there for eternity.

   "Aw, thank you Turtle! It's beautiful! But, I don't like you the same way," she replied casually, to Turtle's fears.

   Said dragon waved his talons frantically, dropping the flower. "N-no, th-that's okay, I didn't really--I mean, we c-can still be friends, that's-that's completely fine--"

   Kinkajou looked up at the gray stone ceiling, her expression changing to something Turtle couldn't make out, disregarding Turtle's wings shielding his face in embarrassment and shame.

   "No, I mean, I don't like you at all. Who'd like a scared snail who can barely muster up the courage for an oral presentation?" Kinkajou said in disgust, wrinkling her snout.

   "W-what?" Turtle squeaked, trying to swallow down tears.

   Kinkajou nodded. "Mm hm. You call yourself a prince and a worthy animus, but in reality you're just a rotten mango who doesn't deserve any special talents or statuses at all!" she laughed manically.

   I enchant this pebble to turn the holder invisible for as long as they are holding it, Turtle thought through sadness and shock.

   He remembered all the times Kinkajou had made him smile, the things they learned about each other during the Darkstalker crisis, the moments they shared together. How could Kinkajou just throw it all away? How could she throw his heart away?

   "I'd much rather date Carnelian, isn't that right, Sweetie?" Kinkajou cooed. Turtle realized his magic had zero effect on him, as he was as opaque as he could be.

   To his horror, Carnelian, the very Carnelian who had died in the history cave explosion, was cuddling with Kinkajou looking very much real.

   "Carnelian!" Turtle yelped, "Y-you're dead!"

   "Not in my heart! And my heart is always right! As I always say, applesauce is very yummy mud!" Carnelian smiled, looking almost as jubilant as Kinkajou, who stood there staring at Turtle with an amused expression.

   "B-but you died in the history cave explosion! I saw your dead body!"

   "Who needs history caves? Sticks are a much better way of traveling!" Carnelian said, as the three dragons wound up in what looked like a place in the Mud Kingdom.

   Kinkajou leaped up into the sky and didn't come back for a considerable amount of time, until she landed smoothly with one of Pyrrhia's three moons in her claws, although Turtle could have sworn it was broad daylight outside.

   Turtle ran away as fast as he could from this madness, but his legs seemed to stay in place, as if he was moving through algae. As a result, the SeaWing kicked harder, slapping his tail against the ground.

   Finally, he felt a strange sense of discomfort and tiredness, as if he was falling for a split second.

---

   Turtle gasped, disturbing the moss bed beneath him. What happened?

   The SeaWing looked around nervously, seeing that it was night and he was back in his cave. He quickly put two and two together. It was all a dream, he sighed.

   "Huh...?" groaned a voice from next to him. It took Turtle a moment to realize it was Kinkajou's sleepy voice. His world came rushing back to him. Kinkajou. My girlfriend. My beautiful, amazing girlfriend.

   "Nothing. Bad dream," he mumbled in response, turning on his side so his face met the cave wall. As he was about to drift off into sleep, he could have sworn he felt the soft brush of Kinkajou's wing over his scales.